Is the AMD Fx-8120 a true 8 core?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fsm

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Okay, so i will be using this new custom build pc for playing games such as the sims 3, flight simulator deluxe, dirt 3 ect. i will also be doing emails and facebook and forums along with some media editing. so should this setup be good? i have little patience so hopefully everything will be near enough instant?

If you want everything to be more "instant" then you need to invest in a SSD (Solid State Drive) and worry less about the CPU.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

The 1100 is 6 real cores.

If the 980 outperforms the 1100 in some benchmarks, it's because it has a higher clock speed and the application can't use the 1100's extra cores.

The 1100, in stock form is like a slightly slower 980 with 2 additional cores.

Aaron Rutledge

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
I just deen today that my AMD 8120 is discontinued on Newegg. As to the 8core question , if it aint acting right , here is this ti "unpark" any idle cpu cores "http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility". Mine runs like crap in my new build with the UD3 mb. Wish I wld of stuck with intel, as I have very limited funds. I get random mouse stuttering , was north bridge heating badly, grrrrrrrrrrr.

Admiaczking

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
The AMD FX-8120 has 2 logical cores per physical, or in other words there are four "modules" and each module has 2 logical cores on it. It is similar to hyperthreading in that the two cores share the same resources but hyperthreading outperforms most FX processors today.

4745454b

Titan
The AMD FX-8120 has 2 logical cores per physical, or in other words there are four "modules" and each module has 2 logical cores on it. It is similar to hyperthreading in that the two cores share the same resources but hyperthreading outperforms most FX processors today.

Wow. The AMD FX-8xxx has 2 physical INT cores per module. There is also 1 shared FP core per module. Hyperthreading has a single core working on more then one thread at a time, but all threads per core share some resources. The FX is completely different as there is no sharing of resources in the cores (at least the INT cores) as they are separate. Hyperthreading should not outperform FX CPUs as they have to share resources. If an HT CPU does outperform an FX CPU it's probably due to the higher IPC found in Intel cores compared to AMD.

I highly suggest reading more about this if you are going to talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.