[SOLVED] Is the AMD Ryzen 3 3200U good for surfing and watching 1080p movies?

pocketgaming12

Reputable
Jan 2, 2019
So i found a pretty cheap ASUS laptop with a AMD Ryzen 3 3200U cpu and radeon vega 3 graphics. I would not use it for gaming, but i would like it to be able to surf the internet smoothly
like on facebook,reddit and etc. Also to watch films on Netflix on 1080p. Is that CPU enough for those things?

Solution
I would even suggest buying a used or refurbished laptop for even less since you don't need a super powerful CPU for 1080p Netflix. Something with an i3/i5-4000 to 7000 series would likely work fine for you. Just don't expect 4k youtube and other 4k videos to work smoothly on an i3-4010U. i5 would probably be the minimum you would need for smooth 4k videos. Edit Also the Ryzen 3/5 U series CPUs would be a good option for used/refurbished as well.
I would even suggest buying a used or refurbished laptop for even less since you don't need a super powerful CPU for 1080p Netflix. Something with an i3/i5-4000 to 7000 series would likely work fine for you. Just don't expect 4k youtube and other 4k videos to work smoothly on an i3-4010U. i5 would probably be the minimum you would need for smooth 4k videos. Edit Also the Ryzen 3/5 U series CPUs would be a good option for used/refurbished as well.

Last edited:
Solution

pocketgaming12

Reputable
Jan 2, 2019
Thank you for your suggestion!
I am literally just looking for 1080p film watching and surfing the web with no stutter. I will look around for used laptops and see what is on the "menu".

pocketgaming12

Reputable
Jan 2, 2019
Yeap, more than enough, as long as you don't try to open 128 tabs at the same time you should be fine :)

Try to get atleast a 2x4GB RAM kit DDR4 3000~3200MHz and maybe a 120~250GB SSD, heck if the only thing you are going to do is netflix and browse the web even the 120GB SSD should be more than enough.
I am literally looking for those two things. Last time i bough a laptop with the similar price it was like a real piece of garbage that it couldn't even browse normally. I will see if there is a possibility for dual ram too. Thank you for your suggestions!

The price is 380$. It is literally perfect because i looked to spend max 400$. The laptop has an SSD with 250 gb and 8gb of ram. The only thing that worried me was if the processor will be good enough.
That sounds like a decent deal already instead of used laptop, just don't expect the screen to be any good though. You would probably want to output through HDMI to a TV when watching movies.

pocketgaming12

Reputable
Jan 2, 2019
That sounds like a decent deal already instead of used laptop, just don't expect the screen to be any good though. You would probably want to output through HDMI to a TV when watching movies.
Good idea, but i won't mind a little worse screen i just want it to work. If it will be really bad then i will connect it to my tv xD