[SOLVED] is the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X still a good cpu in 2021

Solution
I bought 2700x listed as "new, unpacked" few weeks ago (official shop) and got dead one with many missing and bent pins. ...

Sounds like it was a false listing unless there was more to it than just that. Hopefully you have recourse to get a refund.

@ayoubiee : As to your question: I have a 1700 that still does a terrific job at 1080p gaming paired with an RX480...and worked really just as well at 1440p when I put my RX-5700XT in for a test. So yeah, a 2700X will definitely be a valued addition to a gaming system if you're looking at one for a fair price.

It does get hot if you use a fixed overclock but that's only to be expected of an 8core/16 thread CPU of older process generation (just look at Intel's furnace...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would say depending on what it cost and what you plan to use it for. I am still using one for work, gaming, and image file conversion and compression. It is on par with the multi thread performance of the likes of a 11600K, although single thread it's lacking a bit behind. They are power hungry and hot.

If you can get it cheap, I would say go for it. If not, look at something like a 3600.

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
I bought 2700x listed as "new, unpacked" few weeks ago (official shop) and got dead one with many missing and bent pins. I know it's just me being unlucky, but used AMD CPU is a big no no for me. I wouldn't do the same mistake again. For how much you can get the 2700x?

I bought 2700x listed as "new, unpacked" few weeks ago (official shop) and got dead one with many missing and bent pins. ...

Sounds like it was a false listing unless there was more to it than just that. Hopefully you have recourse to get a refund.

@ayoubiee : As to your question: I have a 1700 that still does a terrific job at 1080p gaming paired with an RX480...and worked really just as well at 1440p when I put my RX-5700XT in for a test. So yeah, a 2700X will definitely be a valued addition to a gaming system if you're looking at one for a fair price.

It does get hot if you use a fixed overclock but that's only to be expected of an 8core/16 thread CPU of older process generation (just look at Intel's furnace line). These were the first Ryzen CPU's that used PBO and it can work pretty well on the right motherboard and BIOS (it has to allow undervolting with negative offsets). With PBO it will stay much cooler (compared to a fixed overclock) in terms of actual heat output while in use.

Last edited:
Reactions: punkncat
Solution

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Sound like it was a false listing for sure, unless it also disclosed something like 'new, unpacked...but damaged packaging". Hopefully you have recourse to get a refund.
That store always lists whatever is wrong with the product (if that's the case).. this one didn't have a thing - customer care employee told me it was indeed never supposed to get into retail. But I got fully refunded with small discount on next purchase as apology. But still just wanted to warn any people who wants to buy used AMD CPUs - there are fragile pins on it that can easily bend and even fall off if the user is careless when unmounting the Cooler (especially the Wraith Prism Cooler has thousands of cases of this happening). If you can't touch it and look closely before you buy it, don't buy it.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
.... If you can't touch it and look closely before you buy it, don't buy it.

OR are buying from a source you trust with a decent return policy. Everyone hates on eBay, but I and my wife have had excellent results as they have always refunded us on any bad products we've received. Most of them don't even have us return the product, we just get the price refunded to our card. Makes me think they know their wares are sketch and depend on most people not bothering for the refund to make any money from it.

The secret is to pay close attention to the condition statement, of course.

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have a 1700 that still does a terrific job at 1080p gaming paired with an RX480...and worked really just as well at 1440p when I put my RX-5700XT in for a test. So yeah, a 2700X will definitely be a valued addition to a gaming system if you're looking at one for a fair price.

I also have a 1700 system that was just moved out of the "gaming" position in the LR area. It was paired with a GTX1080 and was great for ~75+ FPS/1080p on AAA titles. Cyberpunk excepted, lol.

It does get hot if you use a fixed overclock but that's only to be expected of an 8core/16 thread CPU of older process generation (just look at Intel's furnace line). These were the first Ryzen CPU's that used PBO and it can work pretty well on the right motherboard and BIOS (it has to allow undervolting with negative offsets). With PBO it will stay much cooler (compared to a fixed overclock) in terms of actual heat output while in use.

I found that for the trouble and difficulty in making it perfectly happy and stable that leaving it up to PBO was the best bet. Mine clocks ~4GHz for harder titles and shows ~4.3 on older single threaded games and such. It does a superb job of converting .jpeg to .pdf and then compressing them.

I will mention that the 2700X is going to take a motherboard with really good VRM in order to get the most out of it. Don't skimp on cooling both for the CPU directly, as well as considering flow inside the case for the motherboard power delivery. Also, use a GOOD PSU. The stock cooler that comes with these was not really performing as well as I wanted for summertime ambient temps. I moved to a Hyper 212 and where it worked pretty well, it was super loud. I opted to swap over to a 240 AIO and managed the fan curves where it is super quiet while surfing, watching media, and most work. It ramps up pretty well during compression in particular, and a low din while gaming.

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
My exp with r7 1700 in short
No game can utilize all threads,
It will suffer from very high fps games compared to mordern cpu, 5600x/11400 etc
So its best paired with high resolution and target 90-100 fps

My exp with r7 1700 in short
No game can utilize all threads,
It will suffer from very high fps games compared to mordern cpu, 5600x/11400 etc
So its best paired with high resolution and target 90-100 fps
They truly don't compare to Zen 3 CPU's, with their first rate IPC, in FPS gaming action. But I play triple "A" games...Witcher 3, Ghost Recon, RDR2 and even some Cyberpunk 2077. All of those I can still get good gaming action at no less than 40 FPS...perfect for those game types.

Some time ago I moved on to a 3700X...now a a 5800X which is utter overkill for those games, especially at 1440p since I play on a 5700XT. But it knocks down a long video encode pretty quick! The 3700X is in my son's machine, displacing the 1700 that is now sitting on my desk in a clamshell.

Last edited:
I recently ditched my 2700x

It runs hot.
Over priced.
It runs hot compared to Zen 2/3...but not hot enough to heat your room while transcoding in winter. That can make for an unhappy compromise that really begs for an Intel CPU to do proper double duty.

Being overpriced is really a non-issue if you have one...unless "ditching" really means "scalping" at resale. Which is really a plus since most people like a product that holds value to the point they're looking to upgrade!

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I purchased the 1300 on release and paid MSRP for it. I really didn't think too much on upgrading it until they ran sales on all the 1xxx just after 2xxx release. I picked up a NIB 1700 for $99 from MicroCenter. I waited a while and did the same thing purchasing my 2700X for $120-ish from MicroCenter.
I was really hoping that the same price structure was going to happen with the 3xxx Ryzen when 5 came out, but alas, they held their value.

Saying they are "too hot" is rather comical in the face of the last 4 generations of Intel.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
It runs hot compared to Zen 2/3...but not hot enough to heat your room while transcoding in winter. That can make for an unhappy compromise that really begs for an Intel CPU to do proper double duty.

Being overpriced is really a non-issue if you have one...unless "ditching" really means "scalping" at resale. Which is really a plus for the scalper!

Just playing games it heated the room in the winter. Even when idling there was warm air blowing out the radiator. I purchased a 12600KF for £60 more than the 2700x retail price. It absolutely smashes the 2700 on performance and all the talk about the 12600KF being power hungry? When gaming now the cpu don't even get hot. I mean the air blowing out the rad is cold even my gpu runs a hell of a lot cooler compared to what it did with the 2700x. No more issues with frame rates when gaming either as my memory now runs stable with xmp setting whereas with the 2700x It wouldn't function properly past 2666mhz.

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Just playing games it heated the room in the winter. Even when idling there was warm air blowing out the radiator. I purchased a 12600KF for £60 more than the 2700x retail price. It absolutely smashes the 2700 on performance and all the talk about the 12600KF being power hungry? When gaming now the cpu don't even get hot. I mean the air blowing out the rad is cold even my gpu runs a hell of a lot cooler compared to what it did with the 2700x. No more issues with frame rates when gaming either as my memory now runs stable with xmp setting whereas with the 2700x It wouldn't function properly past 2666mhz.
12600KF is hell of a beast and I think everyone will agree on that. This CPU indeed completely trashed any AMD CPU in total performance..BUT..AMD stayed still victorious in price to performance as the stuff you have to buy to get your 12600KF started is way higher than on AMD.. Ryzen just requires 80$ motherboard with 40$ RAM and you're good to go. With Intel you can forget about that lol. You have to get totally new motherboard and those don't come cheap..and if you want to fully utilize its power u need DDR5 RAM and PCI E 5.0 and that all comes with price. (My newly built PC costed me 400$ in total..Intel 12600kf build would cost me 700$+)

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

Something that I found to be fairly common to the 1xxx and 2xxx Ryzen were the RAM compatibility issues. On 1xxx it was advisable to go with ONLY RAM on the QVL, and at first ONLY 2400. It was said to be better with 2xxx, but my experience was there were still some serious issues ongoing. My system did fine with some QVL 2666, and would clock to 29xx with a bit of effort. I upgraded to some low latency GSkill 3000 sticks and had pure hell getting the system happy.
I ended up flashing BIOS to most recent, against the advice of ASRock, and the system has become very stable and very happy. I can run the 'XMP' profile at 3xxx with no stability issues.

I have my 2700X on an AIO with a tuned fan curve and it never goes above mid 50C for anything. I think the warmth that emanates from the system now is in relation to GPU load/gaming. I don't find mine to be any more effective in 'heating a room' than the 11600K I have air cooled with the same GPU.

Just playing games it heated the room in the winter. Even when idling there was warm air blowing out the radiator. I purchased a 12600KF ...
Processor cheap...the rest of the platform precious.

Lucky for Intel, they started trying to innovate again. It's telling that it's being compared to a three generations passed processor here. Even so, they're not very good for people living in high energy-cost economies, especially those with a tiered pricing structure where they have to be super careful about tipping into the next bracket. It's terrible when you have to shut down your system on the last couple days of the month just cause it's such a blast furnace.

That's all I'm gonna say on it as I really don't like the fan-boy arguments. I just want to be a bit more balanced in plusses and minuses.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
12600KF is hell of a beast and I think everyone will agree on that. This CPU indeed completely trashed any AMD CPU in total performance..BUT..AMD stayed still victorious in price to performance as the stuff you have to buy to get your 12600KF started is way higher than on AMD.. Ryzen just requires 80$ motherboard with 40$ RAM and you're good to go. With Intel you can forget about that lol. You have to get totally new motherboard and those don't come cheap..and if you want to fully utilize its power u need DDR5 RAM and PCI E 5.0 and that all comes with price. (My newly built PC costed me 400$ in total..Intel 12600kf build would cost me 700$+)

I will agree with you on the price side. Although cheaper boards for adler are ment to drop in the next week. I myself opted to stay with ddr4 for the mean time. The cpu was £260 on launch and I wanted a asus prime but due to stock issues chose a gigabyte z690 gaming board that was £200! Oh and a new case that was on offer. Everything else I already had.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Processor cheap...the rest of the platform precious.

Lucky for Intel, they started trying to innovate again. It's telling that it's being compared to a two generations passed processor. Even so, they're not very good for people living in high energy-cost economies, especially those with a tiered pricing structure where they have to be super careful about tipping into the next bracket. It's terrible when you have to shut down your system on the last couple days of the month just cause it's such a blast furnace.

To be fair, I almost think that Intel just followed AMD's play in regard to the 1+ generation of Ryzen. They took the 1xxx CPU and cranked all the power limits to 11 and "boom" a more powerful CPU. Luckily they were able to bring that back under control with the new process on 3xxx. Intels issue bringing the process down to size and they saw what AMD did and said "add a 12 to that dial"...

kwikgta

Honorable
Feb 27, 2016
I had a 2700x lying around and paired it with a rx 6600 card to use for my backup computer. I loaded Windows 7 on it and use it for all of legacy games/hardware, works fantastic for my purposes.