[SOLVED] Is the AMD Stock Cooler quiet and does it perform well?

Feb 13, 2020
I'm planning on getting a Ryzen 5 3600 in a Mini ITX build because I travel a lot, and I just really like tiny PCs. However, I would like it to be fairly quiet. Is the AMD Wraith cooler quiet enough and also good performance-wise? Or should I spend an extra 30-50 dollars and get a Noctua NH-L9 series cooler? I would really like to have a quiet system that also keeps it nice and cool.

Solution
I'm planning on getting a Ryzen 5 3600 in a Mini ITX build because I travel a lot, and I just really like tiny PCs. However, I would like it to be fairly quiet. Is the AMD Wraith cooler quiet enough and also good performance-wise? Or should I spend an extra 30-50 dollars and get a Noctua NH-L9 series cooler? I would really like to have a quiet system that also keeps it nice and cool.

Hi @Aidanator

I have the wraith cooler on my 2700x and for me, I feel that it's very quiet. However, what I think is quiet and what YOU think is quiet could be very different. For non-OC use, it's a pretty good cooler overall. I game quite a bit and the hottest I can remember it getting under full load was like 65c. That being said, Noctua...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Hi @Aidanator

I have the wraith cooler on my 2700x and for me, I feel that it's very quiet. However, what I think is quiet and what YOU think is quiet could be very different. For non-OC use, it's a pretty good cooler overall. I game quite a bit and the hottest I can remember it getting under full load was like 65c. That being said, Noctua coolers tend to be very good, but you'll want to make sure you get the correct model as some of the L9 series are low profile for ITX systems. The cooler a PC runs, the happier it'll be. (Which translates to overall less problems and better performance on an otherwise stable system) Here is a generic listing of Noctua's coolers.

Last edited:
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, it doesn't hurt to try with the stock cooler. If you're happy with it, great! If not, you can always add a better aftermarket cooler later.

@Mrgr74 is spot on - much like everyone's eyes are different when it comes to monitors, everyone's ears are different as to what levels/frequencies of fan and air-movement sound are pleasant, noticeable vs unnoticeable, or difficult to tolerate.

Feb 13, 2020
Hi @Aidanator

I have the wraith cooler on my 2700x and for me, I feel that it's very quiet. However, what I think is quiet and what YOU think is quiet could be very different. For non-OC use, it's a pretty good cooler overall. I game quite a bit and the hottest I can remember it getting under full load was like 65c. That being said, Noctua coolers tend to be very good, but you'll want to make sure you get the correct model as some of the L9 series are low profile for ITX systems. The cooler a PC runs, the happier it'll be. (Which translates to overall less problems and better performance on an otherwise stable system) Here is a generic listing of Noctua's coolers.
That's a good idea. I'll start out with the stock cooler, and if I don't like it, I'll just get a Noctua one. I'm actually using PC Part Picker and it automatically will say if a certain cooler doesn't fit, but I found one that does. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: King_V

Latest posts