[SOLVED] Is the AMD Wraith Prism CPU Cooler sufficient for a FX8350?

Sep 11, 2020
Hey Guys!

So I want to get a better cooler for the FX 8350 that I am getting to replace my Phenom II x4 955 BE. Currently the cooler I have isnt sufficient for even the Phenom....it runs at about 60C when just doing light tasks....it goes above 70C when streaming and playing. So I see alot of the AMD Wraith Prism RGB coolers on eBay new....and was wondering if it would be sufficient to cool the FX 8350, which runs even hotter than my Phenom.

Reactions: 2plash6
Solution
good luck, those chips are know to run hot and use a lot of power. the wrath cooler was not designed for it and i do not expect it to work very well.

as much air flow in the case as possible will help but i would expect to see thermal throttling more often that not.

best wishes.
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
Without a top end motherboard, your FX8350 is likely to be more limited by motherboard vrm cooling than cpu cooling.

What is the make/model of your case and what is the fan arrangement.
Often a cooler does not work well because it does not get sufficient fresh air to let it do it's job.

Reactions: OmegaMaximus

curley81

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
Hey Guys!

So I want to get a better cooler for the FX 8350 that I am getting to replace my Phenom II x4 955 BE. Currently the cooler I have isnt sufficient for even the Phenom....it runs at about 60C when just doing light tasks....it goes above 70C when streaming and playing. So I see alot of the AMD Wraith Prism RGB coolers on eBay new....and was wondering if it would be sufficient to cool the FX 8350, which runs even hotter than my Phenom.
I had same chip years back and reseached best cooler for price and as far as i remember it was between the xigmatech aegir or the coolermaster evo 212. i used the xigmatech with 2 fans and was able to overclock this was on a asus sabertooth 990fx MB hope this helps

Sep 11, 2020
I had same chip years back and reseached best cooler for price and as far as i remember it was between the xigmatech aegir or the coolermaster evo 212. i used the xigmatech with 2 fans and was able to overclock this was on a asus sabertooth 990fx MB hope this helps

I may overclock a bit...but I think the stock settings are good for what I need.
My Mainboard:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/970 extreme4/#Specification

I should support some overclocking...right?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
good to know. now as the rest have noted, it is not going to do much to cool the fx chip. they will break 200w easy overclocked and higher with extreme attempts.

you need a much better cooler that a wrath to do anything more than run it at stock clocks!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
good luck, those chips are know to run hot and use a lot of power. the wrath cooler was not designed for it and i do not expect it to work very well.

as much air flow in the case as possible will help but i would expect to see thermal throttling more often that not.

best wishes.

Solution