Question Is the amperage of my psu enough to boot up my computer

dansamueltutor

Commendable
Dec 24, 2018
I bought a new computer for my siblings coz i dont want them to touch my own computer, this new built pc wont power up, fans and everything runs but not booting up. i did ram reseat but still wont boot up (all parts are brand new)

i5 - 2500S
4gb samsung ddr3
gtx 560 non Ti
500gb hdd
gigabyte h61 mobo
3 fans
600w fsp psu

this psu has 2x 12v rail

3.3 v - 13amps
5v - 9.3 amps
1st 12v rail - 9.6 amps
2nd 12v rail - 7 amps

i suspect this psu output is too low and thats causing the computer not to boot up. Tell me if this psu is enough to boot up the pc or not. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

dansamueltutor

Commendable
Dec 24, 2018
I doubt your PSU's amperage/wattage is the problem. 600 watts, no matter that it has two rails, should power this PC just fine. Maybe it's DOA. It could also be that another part is causing this problem.

Hello thanks for commenting. This psu powers on everything (fans, gpu fan, cpu fan, hdd) but it wont boot up, no display at all. I just edited my post i forgot to mention that.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, the parts aren't new unless they've been sitting on a shelf for 6 or 7 years, so any one of them could be the problem.

By most standards, that is at best a 200W power supply, 300W if we are being generous and include all the rails, so I'm doubting your listing there. Do you have the exact model?

As usual when troubleshooting, take out everything you don't need to run it. So CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and powersupply. Should be enough to get a display output, assuming the motherboard has video headers.

Should only need the ATX connector and the supplementary power for the CPU. All other connectors can be removed.

Then add components one by one until it stops working, or it all works again. Easiest way to find simple mistakes like loose cables or bad cables.

When posting for troubleshooting, it is best to list the exact models of parts, not a general description.

I think you are right.
Does the psu have the usual two 6 pin pcie power leads that a GTX560 needs?
If you needed to use molex adapters, the power is not likely there.

Try attaching your monitor to the motherboard outlets and remove the GTX560 and see if it boots.

TRENDING THREADS