Question Is the Arctic Freezer 7X a good cooler for an i7 6700

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
I just bought one off Amazon. I can always cancel the order. I figured its pretty close to the stock intel cooler with the way it mounts to the motherboard. I had bought a Freezer 34 Esports Duo but the little plastic backplate that came with it won't fit even though it should. I figured there isn't much Arctic can do except send me another backplate that won't fit/work right.

So it was better to just go look for another cooler. I still plan to call them. But I don't expect much out of it.

If anyone has any experience with the cooler I would like to hear how it performs. I found a few reviews online and they all said it was a good cooler.

Lutfij

Titan
If you own a non-K suffix processor then you had no need to buy an aftermarket cooler. If the thread's title was a typo and you own a Z170/Z270 chipset board, while also owning a DDR4-3200MHz ram kit, then no the cooler wasn't worth the purchase(over the stock cooler).

How much did you shell out on the cooler?

Might want to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
If you own a non-K suffix processor then you had no need to buy an aftermarket cooler. If the thread's title was a typo and you own a Z170/Z270 chipset board, while also owning a DDR4-3200MHz ram kit, then no the cooler wasn't worth the purchase(over the stock cooler).

How much did you shell out on the cooler?

Might want to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Well I plan to switch over to a Ryzen CPU in about 6 months or so. So I was just going to use the cooler on my new CPU.

I will still do that though.

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
Are you sure you took the correct backplate and screws for your 1151 socket motherboard? And not the AM4 kit?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ascz5P0-jyU

Yes, totally sure. I was in contact with a Arctic customer service rep. I was doing everything right. I watched a ton of videos on installing the Esports Duo and I went over the installation instructions several times. The backplate just doesn't fit.

It's not an error on my part. Either something is wrong with the backplate, like the measurements or off or there is something off with the board.

The Intel stock cooler fit fine. I think the problem is the black metal plate on the back of the board. It seems like the backplate won't fit around it.