Question Is the ASRock B450M Steel Legend a solid choice?

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Hello!
I'm looking for a mobo for a Ryzen 5 2600. I've been looking around and the best option for me seems to be the ASRock B450M Steel Legend. Is this a solid choice or should I buy something else? Not planning to overclock much. Also I wouldn't want to get something any more expensive than the Steel Legend.
Thanks to everyone who helps!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Really depends on your location, budget & requirements.
The B450 Tomahawks have been the 'go to' for a reasonable price for some time.... but that's an ATX board (vs mATX you're looking at), and may not have great availability (or great pricing) in your specific location.

Mar 31, 2019
Thanks for the reply! I'll be purchasing probably tomorrow, so I'm open for suggestions.

for value of your
Thanks for the reply! I'll be purchasing probably tomorrow, so I'm open for suggestions.

This mobo have a significant value than B450m pro4.

pro:free rgb on vrm shields and southbridge heatsink
con:NO BUILT IN IO SHIELD (that's why the mobo cheap)

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Really depends on your location, budget & requirements.
The B450 Tomahawks have been the 'go to' for a reasonable price for some time.... but that's an ATX board (vs mATX you're looking at), and may not have great availability (or great pricing) in your specific location.
Where I am the Tomahawk is something like 20 euros more expensive and I can't afford it, because with the Steel Legend I'm already pushing the limit with 10 euros. I've heard people say that the Steel Legend overheats very easily. I don't know if it really does and how when it has this "XXL Heatsink" and other stuff like that

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Where I am the Tomahawk is something like 20 euros more expensive and I can't afford it, because with the Steel Legend I'm already pushing the limit with 10 euros. I've heard people say that the Steel Legend overheats very easily. I don't know if it really does and how when it has this "XXL Heatsink" and other stuff like that

I haven't seen any widespread reports of overheating. For a 2600, assuming there's some form of airflow in your case, it'll be fine. AIO coolers in a limited airflow case certainly can see the VRMs get pretty hot.

This mobo have a significant value than B450m pro4.

pro:free rgb on vrm shields and southbridge heatsink
con:NO BUILT IN IO SHIELD (that's why the mobo cheap)

Where did the Pro4 come into it?
The lack of an integrated IO shield isn't what keeps the cost down on the board (although it helps).
It's a 4+2 Phase VRM, and gets warm - so it's not really a board to be overclocking on.

Why do I need an IO shield?

The board still has an IO shield, it's just a traditional 'extra' piece you install before the board. Newer, higher end boards are integrating it onto the board itself.

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
I haven't seen any widespread reports of overheating. For a 2600, assuming there's some form of airflow in your case, it'll be fine. AIO coolers in a limited airflow case certainly can see the VRMs get pretty hot.

Where did the Pro4 come into it?
The lack of an integrated IO shield isn't what keeps the cost down on the board (although it helps).
It's a 4+2 Phase VRM, and gets warm - so it's not really a board to be overclocking on.

The board still has an IO shield, it's just a traditional 'extra' piece you install before the board. Newer, higher end boards are integrating it onto the board itself.
Thanks a lot for answering this bunch of questions. I don't really think the IO shield is a problem. I mean how hard can it be installing it

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's not at all. An integrated IO shield is nice and all, it's just easier (it's easy to forget to install an IO shield and then you have to take the board back out etc), but it's far from necessary.

As far as board selection, you should be looking at VRM setup and general board features before you get onto aspects like general aesthetics or integrated IO shields.

What other B450 boards are available to you? And what are their prices? Or, do you have a local website you could link & we can take a look. What kind of budget are you putting towards the board?

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
It's not at all. An integrated IO shield is nice and all, it's just easier (it's easy to forget to install an IO shield and then you have to take the board back out etc), but it's far from necessary.

As far as board selection, you should be looking at VRM setup and general board features before you get onto aspects like general aesthetics or integrated IO shields.

What other B450 boards are available to you? And what are their prices? Or, do you have a local website you could link & we can take a look. What kind of budget are you putting towards the board?
Some other ones I have taken a look at are the ASRock B450M Pro4, the MSI B450(M) Bazooka(V2), MSI B450(M) Tomahawk, ASUS PRIME b450M-A, GIGABYTE 450(M) DS3H. As far as my budget goes I can't afford anything more expensive than the more expensive version of the Steel Legend ( with better VRMs ). Example website: https://www.jarcomputers.com

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
I have the B450M Steel Legend for the PC my son and I put together last month. From what I have been able to find reading up a bit, it's similar to the B450M Pro4, but has better VRMs.

But, we also don't have any plans to overclock.
I've heard it has a bit worse VRMs, but it seems to be a good mobo overall and seems to be a solid choice for me

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
At the pricepoint, the Steel Legend seems like the better option.

The next "best" in terms of step up is another 30Lev, approx.
https://www.jarcomputers.com/Gigabyte-B450-AORUS-M-10_prod_MBAGIGABYTEB450AORUSM10.html?ref=prod

Not really worth it, IMO. The Steel Legend should be fine for your needs.
I dont know what you're seeing but what I'm seeing is that the aorus is the same price as the steel legend. I just want to make sure if you meant the aorus is the better option?

I can't speak to the Steel Legend. But I currently have an ASRock AB350 Pro 4. Using a 1700X overclocked at 3.8ghz with a Wraith Prism on it. Been running the board about a year, most of the time at stock speed, but recently overclocked. However, it seems like a decent board.

If the ASRock you are looking at is as good as this one, I think you'll be happy with it on a budget.

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
I'm seeing the Steel Legend (non-M) for 161Lev, is it not?
https://www.jarcomputers.com/ASRock-STEEL-LEGEND-B450_prod_MBAASROCKB450MSTEELLEGEND.html?ref=prod

Actually, scrap the AorusM idea.... I was thinking of another board, the AorusM and Steel Legends VRM would be comparable.
So um. 1st of all. This is the M version as they specify lower in the description and also the pics are for the M also the price of the non-M is around 210 not 160. It's very misleading of them not writing the M on the top. Secondly, this is the cheaper version, which has worse VRMs. The other one is like 180. And the aorus is also that much, but if you say to scrap it and it isn't actually better then ok. ¯\(°_o)/¯

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Hello!
I'm looking for a mobo for a Ryzen 5 2600. I've been looking around and the best option for me seems to be the ASRock B450M Steel Legend. Is this a solid choice or should I buy something else? Not planning to overclock much. Also I wouldn't want to get something any more expensive than the Steel Legend.
Thanks to everyone who helps!
I would say decent
The VRM performance is decent