Is the Asus P8Z77-V a good Z77 motherboard?

Dubnoman

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I've been doing my homework on components for a new computer (one I'd like to order from AVADirect). The homework has paid off and helped me to choose better components for a computer. I haven't sought info on the motherboard, though.

I was considering getting an Asus P8Z77-V. Is it a pretty good motherboard? I know some motherboards are good with advanced features, but I don't think I know a thing about motherboards and advanced features, so I should throw that out.

Are there some Z77 motherboards from Asus or other brands that I should consider over this Asus board? Please help me find what are the best Z77 boards to get.

Link to the product: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131820

The Asus P8Z77-V is a very good motherboard and has a good amount of features , supports SLI/Crossfire and is good with overclocking. There are of course better motherboards that have more features but they naturaly cost more also.

ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
$199.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131830

This board is only $10 more and is the ROG theme MB which brings with it the ROG software and features and is very good for overclocking.

Dubnoman

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
So are there any advantages with a micro ATX motherboard? The one I asked about is ATX, right? I plan to have my motherboard in a full sized tower case. Micro ATX motherboards can be housed in them just fine? I was under the impression that they can not.

fl-gators-fan

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
That Asus motherboard looks pretty nice :)

I'm running an Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 board & I'm very impressed with it, although I haven't OC'ed anything as of yet......but it's nicely laid out & has all the features I need.

No advantages to a micro ATX MB, just space constraints. The one you are looking at is a full size ATX MB. It'll fit in your full sized case just fine.

That's a very good motherboard, very full featured and reliable.

The only advantage to a micro ATX MB is if you had a small case and you were tight on space. I didn't recomend it because it was a micro board but because it was a ROG themed board and had some very good features. The full sized ROG boards were a little more expensive and I didn't know how high you wanted to go. Asus laods up the ROG boards with overclocking features and make them gamer friendly.

ASUS Maximus V FORMULA LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
$279.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131854

As you can see the price is a lot more with the next highest ROG board being a full sized ATX board.

Dubnoman

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

What is a ROG board? I don't know anything about advanced features and motherboards. I don't plan to overclock, either. I know some things about computers, but there are people here that know much more than I do. I won't do much tinkering with my new computer. Just basic/general use (internet use, MS Office, playing HD videos, playing music, streaming HD videos, using torrents and photoshop programs and other 'general use' applications) and playing games, including the most recent offerings and upcoming offerings. I don't plan to overclock, but I may do it if I look into it and find it isn't hassle and isn't as risky as it used to be.

So with those things in mind, would you recommend the Asus Maximus V Formula, or would an Asus P8Z77-V be all I need? I plan to upgrade the CPU of this new system in about a 2-3 years from when I get it and will get a new motherboard then (since they won't have new LGA 1155 CPUs in two years and three years from now). That is something else to keep in mind.

This question is for anyone. Is the Asus P8Z77-V a reliable motherboard? Someone here has said so and I've noted that. If I get additional feedback confirming that, I would appreciate that.

larkspur

Distinguished

The P8Z77-V is all you need based on what you listed there. Asus has an excellent reputation for motherboards and I personally build with them and recommend them as a stable and reliable motherboard brand. The ROG boards have special software perks and added support but I think you'd save enough staying with the non-ROG board especially if the P8Z77-V has the features you want - go for it.

Dubnoman

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

Okay, sounds good. Thank you for your input.

People are still free to add any input they want to add to the topic.

A ROG board is a MB with added features for gamers since ROG stands for " Republic of Gamers". The reason it is this way is because Asus developed a line of boards that have a lot of extra features that are geared for gamers. These extra features are just not for people who game to take advantage of but also other people that want to use those features for thier own use. Sometimes people like to have extra features to use in case they want to use them and when posting on this forum it's very hard to know what each and every person likes and dislikes so we suggest a MB or video card or ram in case someone is interested.

After reding your posts it's now clear that you want a Pc for everyday use and not for just one specific thing.
The Asus board you are asking about is a good board and has a good amount of features that you can either use or not and it gives you options for doing different things with your computer. You would be making a good choice by going with that board.

In the event that you change your mind about overclocking and you intend to experiment with it and you want a board that is very overclocking friendly then the Asus Maximus V Formula would be a good choice. As you stated in your original post you don't know much about computers but when you start to experiment with the different aspects of what you can do with a computer you may want to do a lot more and it would be nice to have a MB with all the options needed.