[SOLVED] is the Asus PRIME B450-PLUS good?

Solution
so I can't overclock with this moba?
You can...either one. But trying to with an 8 core won't be pretty as the VRM's will get toasty hot quickly. But running even an 8 core with PBO should turn out well enough, especially for gaming. Since overclocking rarely gets you performance better than PBO there's no point in it anyway.

I wouldn't want to run a 12 core or 16 core even with PBO. But if you insist, put a fan blowing in the VRM area to keep the FET's cooled off. A tower heatsink with a fan on the output side usually does a trick for that.
Is the Asus PRIME B450-PLUS good or should I go for the Gigabyte B450 Gaming X?
In terms of VRM quality there's not much difference: they're both 4 phases, 1 hi-side/2 lo-side FETS each on CPU Vcore. Each has the VCore FET's heatsinked, but it's an anemic little block of aluminum. So I wouldn't want to put a 12 or 16 core CPU on either one or try overclocking an 8 core.

They both have audio, both have on-board LAN ports, neither have WiFi, both have an x16 GPU slot and an M.2 NVME slot that's gen 3 only. As far as the other stuff goes, it depends entirely on what you want and your aesthetics. So very subjective.

ayoubiee

Honorable
Jan 10, 2018
In terms of VRM quality there's not much difference: they're both 4 phases, 1 hi-side/2 lo-side FETS each on CPU Vcore. So I wouldn't want to put a 12 or 16 core CPU on either one or try overclocking an 8 core.

They both have audio, both have on-board LAN ports, neither have WiFi, both have an x16 GPU slot and an M.2 NVME slot that's gen 3 only. As far as the other stuff goes, it depends entirely on what you want and your aesthetics. So very subjective.

You can...either one. But trying to with an 8 core won't be pretty as the VRM's will get toasty hot quickly. But running even an 8 core with PBO should turn out well enough, especially for gaming. Since overclocking rarely gets you performance better than PBO there's no point in it anyway.

I wouldn't want to run a 12 core or 16 core even with PBO. But if you insist, put a fan blowing in the VRM area to keep the FET's cooled off. A tower heatsink with a fan on the output side usually does a trick for that.

Solution

ayoubiee

Honorable
Jan 10, 2018

I bought the Asus PRIME B450-PLUS. I Will use a ryzen 7 cpu with it. thanks for your advice.

Reactions: drea.drechsler