Is the ASUS VG248QE upgradeable to G-Sync?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apocalypse591

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I have been after a 120Hz gaming monitor and I have now finally got some money together to purchase one.

After searching up on here and other forums whether if it is better to purchase the BenQ XL2420T or the ASUS VG248QE, I found that the VG248QE will gain support for NVIDIA's new G-Sync technology next year.

I have read some articles about the new G-Sync technology and its support for the ASUS VG248QE, and a few of them say that it is possible to purchase an upgrade kit so you can install the G-Sync module itself into the monitor.

Since finding this out, my decision has been pointed towards the ASUS monitor instead, considering it is still a little cheaper in the UK on Amazon (£273) as compared to the BenQ XL2420T. The only monitor I saw being sold with the G-Sync module pre-installed is on Scan.co.uk for £441, which is a lot more than what I intended to pay in the first place.

Can you purchase a G-Sync upgrade kit to install yourself in the ASUS VG248QE? I'm considering purchasing the kit at a later date (when I have the money).

Also, how does the BenQ XL2411T compare to the two other monitors? I don't understand how it is priced much cheaper.

Thanks.

CraigN

Distinguished
Nvidia has announced *plans* to add the Do-It-Yourself G-Sync card for (old) VG248QE owners in the future, costing around $125-150, but they haven't shown it off yet or explained how it will work.

The BenQ XL2411T I believe doesn't have the Nvidia 3D transmitter built in, just like the ASUS VG248QE doesn't, and also doesn't yet support GSync and no word if there'll be a conversion kit for BenQ monitors yet. They both are 3D-ready, just you need the 3D Vision kit to actually use it if you're interested in that. It's a very comparable monitor for similar performance.

Hope this helps.

CraigN

Distinguished
In case you're curious, the G-SYNC DIY kit came out this week. I purchased it for my VG248QE, and I'm loving it so far, but it does take away the HDMI and DVI port so you can only hook up via DisplayPort, so your video card has to support it. Thankfully they sent a DP cable with the kit.

Does G-sync live up to the hype?

CraigN

Distinguished
I really really like it. It's nice to not have any stuttering due to unexpected frame drops, as can happen in spontaneous multiplayer games like BF4 and the like even with my GTX Titan, and the lack of input lag is great. It's also nice to be able to crank up the SSAO on Metro: Last Light and still run smooth even when it drops down to 40ish frames per second. For those who want Lightboost for both 3d and 2d, it's got an upgraded, toggle-able version now called ULMB (and usable in 2D) for Motion blur reduction via one of the monitor switches.

It isn't without its cons, however. There's a very very light fps cost for having it on. The OSD is gone, except for Brightness control and a status panel, so the only way I can adjust monitor colors is through the Nvidia control panel. Also, LightBoost (now called ULMB) is only usable when GSYNC is off. Nvidia plans to make both usable at the same time in the future, but for now, your choices are no motion blur or no tearing.

ZippyPinhead

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
In short yes. I love my G sync setup. Runs flawlessly. Screen is buttery smooth with no artifacting anymore.

ZippyPinhead

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
IMO the OSD controls are pretty much worthless, whether they are available or not. When I calibrated my monitor I use the Nvidia control panel. Far more accurate. I also feel the same way about DVI and even HDMI......both are pretty much worthless as it is. HDMI only supports 60fps and DVI is an old and dead input spec. IMO. Display Port is the preferred standard for performance and video bandwidth.

CraigN

Distinguished
I'm aware. I prefer it this way too, but, figured it was best he know about it. I think the only thing I have a real problem with is that you lose features baked into the monitor's original OSD, like the ASUS Crosshair and Timer overlays.

Apocalypse591

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hmm, a few months afterwards and I'm still overwhelmed at which monitor I should get.

I'm going to be honest and say that my interest is laying more towards the BenQ XL series than the ASUS VG248QE.

I am also losing interest in G-Sync, as there is currently a week deal on Overclockers UK for the BenQ XL2420T rev2.0 for £259.99 (cheaper than ASUS VG248QE on Amazon) which I am interested in, but would it be possible to upgrade this with the G-Sync module too?

If so, then I may just buy the monitor now, then wait until I get enough money together to purchase the DIY kit and install it myself.

There is also the BenQ XL2420Z, but I hear that there is an issue with the strobe backlighting and you would have to send it back to BenQ to get it serviced, so I'm not particularly sure about that. However, that is going for around £280 on Amazon though.

Cheers.

CraigN

Distinguished

No. You cannot install the GSYNC kit on the BenQ. The GSYNC DIY kit is specific to the VG248QE. The reason is because the same monitor is getting re-released this year with the tech built in. BenQ is releasing a whole new monitor with it built in later this year, not a rehash of their older ones. So the DIY kit was a sort of "make up" to people who bought a VG248QE late in the year without knowing that GSYNC was coming to the same monitor.

Apocalypse591

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Oh right okay.

Well I'm confused as to what I should get then. I do not have the money now to purchase an ASUS VG248QE with G-Sync and I can only imagine that the BenQ XL2420G would be more expensive.

The BenQ XL2420T rev2.0 is reported to have better colour reproduction as compared to the ASUS, and of course all of the other BenQ features too. It is also going cheaper than the ASUS model on Overclockers UK so I'm not sure if I should just buy a monitor and give G-Sync a miss or not, unless if I was to buy just a general ASUS VG248QE and then gather up some money to purchase the G-Sync kit. However my friends tell me it's not worth it and I should just get a general 144Hz monitor, and as I said the BenQ is running cheaper at the moment, but then again I will be missing out on the opportunity to upgrade whenever I would want to unless if it gets cheaper by the time then.

D:

CraigN

Distinguished
Lol - the ultimate dilemma.

I will say this - I was extremely happy with my 144 Hz VG248QE even way before G-SYNC was a thing. After calibrating the colors, it matches up well against the BenQ just fine, but I will agree, the color representation on it sucked out of the box and it took me some time to adjust it properly.

I think comparably you will feel the same about the BenQ (happy with it, that is), especially the newer ones that are putting extra effort to reduce eyestrain.

If you need helpful advice to make a decision: I would get the one that appeals the most to you now.

While GSYNC is great, if you're staying above 60fps and your computer is fast enough to hit the 100+ fps to really benefit from the 144 Hz, you won't notice the tearing that GSYNC is supposed to fix nearly as much as people on 60Hz monitors do.

Apocalypse591

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Haha, yep!

Well I play a lot of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and I get a constant FPS rate above what is needed for 144Hz.

The BenQ XL2420T rev2.0 is currently cheaper than the ASUS VG248QE on Overclockers UK, so the BenQ is more appealing at the moment, but then I'm not sure how fast it will take for BenQ to fix their strobe backlighting problem on their XL2420Z model (which is the main reason why it has bad reviews), and I'm not sure how much the motion blur reduction would affect my gaming.

As I've said before, I'm really not sure between that and the ASUS VG248QE, due to the reason I could upgrade to G-Sync whenever I can. And gathering research across different forums and YouTube videos, the VG248QE is not PWM-free without G-Sync, but the XL2420T rev2.0 is.

I think I may get the BenQ XL2420T rev2.0 off Overclockers UK, as it has been reduced from £319.99 to £259.99.

CraigN

Distinguished
I say get the BenQ Rev 2.0 if it's the cheaper option. GSYNC isn't a must-have right now if you can back up your games with raw horsepower, and GSYNC equipped monitors are going to have a $150+ price premium for having that put in.

Apocalypse591

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Well, as I type this the deal on Overclockers UK is no longer there. Therefore the BenQ Rev2.0 has now gone back up to £319.99. :(

However there is the BenQ XL2420Z which I can download the Blur Busters strobe utility to reduce the strobe backlighting lag, and this is going on Amazon for around £280 and it will be dispatched within 1-2 months and that's the cheapest I've seen so far.

CraigN

Distinguished
Are your eyes particularly sensitive to PWM? Despite the fact the VG248QE does use PWM, the response time is so low on it I've never actually noticed it. I don't get any eyestrain or anything like that, and that was before making the swap to the GSYNC Module. I'm also asking this, not sure what price the VG248QE is going for, or of it's cheaper than the XL2420Z or not.

Apocalypse591

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Erm, well to be perfectly honest I haven't tried PWM-free monitors at all and I can see flicker on this current monitor in all my games when I stand still. It doesn't hurt my eyes but it is quite distracting. And despite the colour usage, people like Linus are saying that the BenQ Rev 2.0 has the best colour for the TN panel.

The ASUS may be the next choice, then I could update to G-Sync if I wanted. And going back to what you said before, how are the colours on it? They can only be better than my current monitor now. In addition to your question, the monitor is going for £275 on Amazon, and the BenQ will be £280 but I would have to wait for that to dispatch, which I'm not sure if I would mind or not.

Apocalypse591

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

CraigN

Distinguished
Not a bad idea.

Honestly, if you use NVIDIA (Or AMD's) control panel's color settings, it's not hard to get the colors to a point your eyes are perfectly happy with. It's not so much that the TN panel on the 248QE has bad color representation as it is you just have to fix it yourself out of the box, but once it's set, it stays, and it looks just as fine as any other monitor I've ever used/looked at, and I've seen the equivalent BenQ in person as well. They match up very well, you just have to set it is all.

What is your current monitor? If it's an older TN panel with a lower response time, that could be why the PWM is far more noticeable.

CraigN

Distinguished
I definitely don't think you'll have the same flickering issues with the VG248QE. I would still say try to get the one that best fits your wants and price range, because they're all stellar monitors, even for a TN panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts