Is the Be Quiet! Pure Power 9 500W enough for a GTX 1080?

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
My specs:
i7 4770
16 GB RAM
GTX 1080 Strix
MSI B85M-E45

It's currently on a 750W PSU that apparently has a questionable build quality (FYI, it's the GX750 CM Storm Edition), so I wanted to replace it with a better brand. So I ask, is 500W, with the rest of the specs, enough to run a GTX 1080 with it (Including overclocking)?

There are 2 versions of the gx psu the 7team and cwt if it's made by 7team it's trash if by cwt it's ok and you are good to go.

If it has a honeycomb fangrill in fron of the fan then you should have the cwt version. If not time to get something new. Also how old is your gx?

If you want to upgrade I recommend a seasonic focus 550 or rmx 550w or higher.

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
Hey man thanks for replying. The one I have is a honeycomb style grill (GX750 CM Storm Edition), and the unit is around 4 months old. I have Googled all over the tech sites for this specific model by CWT, they only reviewed the 7Team model.

Well, it does have Rubycon caps unlike Be Quiet's Teapo caps, so that's a plus, although I am concerned about the ripple that this GX750 may produce in the long run.

If you do not want to risk anything you can go with one of my recommendations. The gx series is quite an older design and doesn not have all the new safety features.