[SOLVED] Is the change to an aio worth it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bubuleh

Reputable
Jul 21, 2016
Hi guys. A few weeks ago i was looking into changing my cooler master ma410m tuf into an aio. Was looking at the corsair h100i pro xt as it's the only thing suggested that's available at the moment. My question is is the change to aio worth it? Im mostly gaming and i just want to keep the temps low. also looking into overclocking it a bit. Tia!

Solution
If there's no thermal throttling present, then there's no real benefit to changing your current cooler. If you're not seeing over 80-85C in game, there's no point, unless you're rocking a Ryzen 3000 cpu; they're temp sensitive.

Besides, if you do have excessively high thermals, I'd question your chassis airflow first. Any cooler is only going to be as effective as the air moving through the chassis.
It still wouldn't have hurt to check to be sure - physics does some weird crap sometimes, but oh well...
With my current hardware, I put aside time to test different fan setups, and found that:
-top exhaust fans are actually worse in my chassis by a couple degrees overall.
-I even did a top panel mesh mod for my chassis, but that turned out to actually be a little worse to my surprise... so I swapped the original acrylic panel back in.
-top radiator placement isn't possible to test because the tubing isn't long enough.
-NH-D15S yields the best thermals with 3 fans, eliminating the need for a rear chassis fan, but the 3rd fan creates an annoying, audible 'whirr' over 1000rpm+, so I removed it.
-I have another cooler, Thermalright's Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Rev. B, that I found to not need rear or top exhaust fans at all in my current chassis; they just get in this cooler's way - it does need lots of intake though, or it ends up running on its own exhaust.

You've got what, a 2070/2080 Super? Have you seen how often and how easily that card pulls 200w+ of power?
The i7-860 comes nowhere close to that.
The 8700K would struggle to pull that kind of power unless you ran it through Prime95, Occt, Aida64, etc.

I don't agree. The D14 was better suited for testing your 8700K overclock, with the H150i not really offering anything over it.
'Better looking' is purely subjective. I'm totally fine with, and like the look of big air coolers Vs a water block, 2 extending tubes, and an extra long heatsink(radiator), fans, and rainbow vomit - which I'm not a fan of, thus the Celsius S36.
Why do I have one though? Simply to gain some experience using one, and it makes more sense to use it on the gpu. NOTHING beats direct die cooling.
Cpu IHSs are a cooler limitation. Too bad cpu direct die cooling isn't more popular... I'd have done that instead of delidding it.

'Hence better', better what???
Oh right, it LOOKS better, so it's better. Just what...

'With minimal performance lost', even though I covered the weaknesses of that cooler, you just kind of tossed it aside...
Okay, fine. It's your money; as long as you're happy...
I'm not trying to attack you, but I'm against you spreading half-truths and subjective opinions(aesthetics) as truth, to others, which is what you did starting with your first post.
okay, ill do my best to address these if i ever post something about AIO vs air coolers again.

Reactions: Phaaze88