Is the cheapest always the best choice for the CPU?

sbab123

Reputable
Mar 21, 2016
Hi guys,

For the first time, I am building my own PC. I already know which components to use in my build. I will be buying a Core i5-6500 for the CPU.

I have contacted a lot of IT retailers in my country to ask them for the price of the Core i5-6500, to know where I can get the best deal. When I looked at the prices at different retailers, it was obviously different. There were small differences in the price at different retailers.

However, for one retailer, the price was considerably lower than the rest. It was USD 30 lower than the average price for the remaining IT shops. I was initially tempted to buy my CPU from this IT retailer...

However, I started having doubts that the Core i5-6500 being sold there maybe fake or an OEM product... and maybe that is why this IT shop can afford to sell for USD 30 less than the average price... Also, I read online that Newegg has been selling fake Core i7 CPUs and there are fake CPUs on the market nowadays and people should be cautious.

What do you guys think? Should I buy the Core i5-6500 at the retailer which offers the CPU for less than USD 30 than average price. Or should I buy it at an IT shop which sells the CPU at the normal price.

Any advice are the most welcome.

Regards

Solution
As Ecky suggested I'd be wary of a company with a much lower than typical price with no return policy. Especially on new hardware, there's no reason not to have a return policy if everything is legitimate. If it were a $20 item and I felt confident that there would be no major loss if it turned out to be a bad deal, unable to return the item etc I wouldn't care. Cpu's are somewhat of an investment for most people's budget, many cannot afford to buy 2-3 until they get a good one. For the minimal savings I'd find a different seller, someone with a good reputation who is willing to stand behind the products they sell. Just my opinion.
As Ecky suggested I'd be wary of a company with a much lower than typical price with no return policy. Especially on new hardware, there's no reason not to have a return policy if everything is legitimate. If it were a $20 item and I felt confident that there would be no major loss if it turned out to be a bad deal, unable to return the item etc I wouldn't care. Cpu's are somewhat of an investment for most people's budget, many cannot afford to buy 2-3 until they get a good one. For the minimal savings I'd find a different seller, someone with a good reputation who is willing to stand behind the products they sell. Just my opinion.

Solution
Do not buy from a company without a return policy. They might mess up and if they mess up then you're stuck with their mistake. Don't risk it just to save a little money. Spend more for that peace of mind and know that if they make a mistake it's not your problem it's theirs and rightfully so.