Is the computer i ordered good for playing starcraft 2 and WoW?

G

I recently just ordered a Dell Studio XPS 9100 Desktop, (heres the link)

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/studio-xps-9100/pd.aspx?refid=studio-xps-9100&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~studio-xps-9100-anav1~~

Can someone tell me, if what i have ordered is going to play world of warcraft and starcraft 2 well? (graphics on high) Thanks

moomooman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Which CPU are you getting with it? an I7? What screen resolution are you going to want?

The built in graphics hardware is pretty low end, I've played WOW on worse hardware at medium settings but it all depends on the resolution your going to try to use.

Starcraft 2 is not going to be playable on medium or high, your bottlenecking your system with a GeForce 310.

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
StarCraft II System Requirements

The system requirements for the StarCraft II are as follows:

PC Requirements
PC Minimum System Requirements*:

Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor
128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
12 GB available HD space
1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)
DVD-ROM drive
Broadband Internet connection
1024X720 minimum display resolution
PC Recommended Specifications:

Windows Vista®/Windows® 7
Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
2 GB RAM
512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better

World of Warcraft System Requirements:

PC System Requirements

Windows XP 32/64-Bit (Service pack 3)
Windows Vista 32/64-Bit (with the latest Service Packs)
Windows 7** 32/64-Bit (with the latest updates)
Processor:
Minimum: Intel Pentium 4 1.3 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 1500+
Recommended: Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2

Memory:
Minimum: 512 MB RAM (1GB for Vista users)
Recommended: 1 GB RAM (2 GB for Vista users)
Video:
Minimum: 3D graphics processor with Hardware Transform and Lighting with 32 MB VRAM Such as an ATI Radeon 7200 or NVIDIA GeForce 2 class card or better
Recommended: 3D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with 128 MB VRAM Such as an ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT class card or better

Storage: 15 Gigabytes or more free hard drive space is required

Sound: DirectX-compatible sound card or motherboard sound capability
** The exact hardware requirements for Windows 7 are still being calculated. Only retail versions of Windows 7 are supported.

Compare the specs of your Rig to the system requirements to ensure no problems would occur! Any specs between the minimum and recommended will play the games, but nothing under the minimum!

hope this helps!!

Dane

G

SO replace graphics card, and everything will run smooth?

G

I ordered a computer with ALOT of power, and it can hold pretty much any graphic card. It currently has a Nvidia g310 graphics card, and iv heard from many, that it is not going to make my gaming enjoyable. So my question is, is there a good graphics card that i can buy for 100$ or less, that can give me good graphic settings in WoW and Starcraft 2? If so, what graphics settings? What resolution? and what would the framerate be? Thanks.

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
glamdroth, can u please elaborate "ALOT of power"? How many watts does the powersupply deliver? and if possible, how much AMPS on the 12V Rail? ( if u didnt get the amps part, forget it )

And also, what processor will the computer have? ( A mediocre CPU with a fantalicious Graphics Card is the recipe for frustration )

The recommendations would be ATI Radeon 4850, ATI Radeon 5760, Nvidia 9600GT or Nvidia GTS 250.

Thats 4 Cards total, the final recommendation will be based on what processor and what power supply u have :)

G

I would like to spend 150$ or less

G

Okay, and for each of those, what graphic settings would i be at, with what framerate?
For both World of Warcraft, and Starcraft 2.

Thanks

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Your computer is delicious ( can i take a bite? ). But i still cant find which PSU u have. Could be helpful if u could remove the side panel on your case and have a look inside at the power supply. Should be a small grey box ( or black.. ). If you could take a photo of whats mentioned on the PSU ( The grey box.. ) and upload it here, it could be helpful..

But if i blindly assume that u have an awesome PSU also, your best card would be the 4850 or GTS 250.. depending on which is the cheapest. Both of them can be expected to be around 100$ ( +/- 10$ )

G

haha, delicious, thanks!, so with GTS 250, On what graphics setting In world of warcraft would i be expected with the graphics card to be on, and what would my framerate be? Also same question but with the 4850. :)

G

alright, thanks!, last thing, The price for the GTS 250 is 130$ but shipping adds alot, do you no if future shop or best buy sells it?, Also, the width is duel-slot, so from what you saw of my computer. Will the GTS 250 still fit? Or am i kinda retarded, and it was a stupid question?

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Sorry but the site fails to mention which mobo it has in it ( or maybe i didnt see it ) so i cant say anything... but i dont think they would put in a cheap motherboard for a computer with i7 in it..
And i also dont live in the US so dont know about best buy or future shop :$

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
The PSu likely wont be great quality, but more than capable of handling a $100 card.
WoW should run high settings easily with a GTS250 because WoW is very CPU intensive not GPU dependant unlike most games.

There should be no issue with fitting a GTS250 into your PC - it looks to be ATX mobo and case as opposed to microATX so it should be fine. (ATX is the standard size for motherboards and cases, micro is a mini version of the motherboard which can be problematic but even they are able to fit large cards).

BestBuy should have something like the GTS250. But have you looked to buy from newegg.com? Usually shipping is free and if it isn't the price is real cheap anyway.
This is $89.99 after rebates
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150365&cm_re=gts250-_-14-150-365-_-Product

If rebates are no use to you and so you are looking at $130 for a GTS250 (plus shipping) then I would pay the extra $10 to go with a modern card with Direct X11
The ATI 5770 is only $149.99 with free shipping and is more powerful
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102873&cm_re=5770_radeon-_-14-102-873-_-Product

G

My son plays WoW on his older PC.

He runs a dual core intel with the Galaxy GTS 250 playing at 1680x1050.

I bought him the video card at Bestbuy months ago for around $140 so it should be much cheaper there now.

He has no real trouble playing WoW with an average of 60 fps. The only lag he sees is when he first ports into Dalaran or when he plays Wintergrasp and the Horde are coming through the gates in mass.

He does not own starcraft2 so I can not comment on that.