Question Is the Cooler Master G700 80+ Gold reliable? It's unusually good for it's price (here atleast)

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Title says all of it, earlier i was going for a corsair CX650M then i noticed this Cooler master G700 Gold, the G700 is cheaper (not by very much, around 5 USD) and that strikes me as sus, because the CX 650M is an 80+ Bronze and the only two other differences between both is that the CX650M is modular whereas the G700 is not, and that the G700 is said to provide 50 watts higher.

I don't care whether the PSU is modular or not [can always stuff the wires into the chassis shroud anyways], but i DO care about the 80+ rating, so will it be fine to go with the cooler master?

It'll be my very first build so i want to take minimal risks : p

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
There are zero proper reviews on Cooler Master G-series, but it's assumed to be a costdown of MWE Gold, which isn't all that great in the first place, so you get what you pay for. What's the build this goes into ? Are those two the only options ?
Well, this will be for an RTX 3070 and an i5 11400F most probably (depends on what i can get, most probably the 3070, otherwise the 3060 ti), and these are the best i can get into the budget, otherwise it's the CV and VS series of Corsair, both of which aren't good, or the Gigabyte GP-P650B, which they say is okay

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Also, the G700 has 5 years of warranty, so i guess it's built to last? I mean, the general assumption here is that if something has got X years of warranty it's built to keep going atleast for that X years, after that it depends on your maintenance.

Also, the G700 has 5 years of warranty, so i guess it's built to last? I mean, the general assumption here is that if something has got X years of warranty it's built to keep going atleast for that X years, after that it depends on your maintenance.

I'm not sure I'd put much faith in that assumption. It's nothing but an assumption.

Warranty details can be a marketing ploy, a selling point..........just like flashing lights on fans or lots of sugar in a soft drink.

A certain percentage of buyers will never return a failed power supply for a warranty claim and the manufacturer undoubtedly has done some research on the topic. Probably more than you or I have.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Actually, for a quality PSU, five years for a warranty isn't impressive. Corsair's good PSUs start at five years and and new ones are mostly seven or ten. SeaSonic's good PSUs start at seven. New Super Flowers are mostly 10. A five-year warranty is basically the absolute minimum that wouldn't cause me to raise an eyebrow out of concern.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Actually, for a quality PSU, five years for a warranty isn't impressive. Corsair's good PSUs start at five years and and new ones are mostly seven or ten. SeaSonic's good PSUs start at seven. New Super Flowers are mostly 10. A five-year warranty is basically the absolute minimum that wouldn't cause me to raise an eyebrow out of concern.
So basically a good PSU will have atleast 5-7 years of warranty.

That doesn't happen the other way around though, right?

Which one do you recommend?
  1. The G700 (cooler master)
  2. The GP-P650B (gigabyte)
  3. The CX 650M (Corsair)
  4. The MWE 650 bronze (again, cooler master)
  5. CSK 650W (antec)

That's about all of them i can fit into my budget....

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So basically a good PSU will have atleast 5-7 years of warranty.

That doesn't happen the other way around though, right?

Which one do you recommend?
  1. The G700 (cooler master)
  2. The GP-P650B (gigabyte)
  3. The CX 650M (Corsair)
  4. The MWE 650 bronze (again, cooler master)
  5. CSK 650W (antec)
That's about all of them i can fit into my budget....

There are occasionally junky PSUs with good warranties. But I rarely see a quality PSU with a poor warranty.

The Corsair one is an easy choice.

Though I do wonder why the budget is so rigid. If the CX 650M was not available, why would you have paired a a very expensive GPU with a mediocre PSU? Part of the cost of the sports car is the cost of the insurance and maintenance.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Though I do wonder why the budget is so rigid. If the CX 650M was not available, why would you have paired a a very expensive GPU with a mediocre PSU? Part of the cost of the sports car is the cost of the insurance and maintenance
I'm not that into computers and stuff, so i don't know what exactly is a mediocre PSU or not, but thing is that I'm hitting the budget ceiling with this build, surely i could go like, just a bit higher but I'd rather avoid that.

Though If I'm willing to sacrifice the 3070 for the 3060 ti [im at 1080p 144Hz] i could go for better PSU, like the RM650 [again, i don't know much about PSU, i just compare them on the basis of their 80+ rating]

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I can also get a Corsair RM650 at the very peak of my budget

At this point, I think I need to see what this whole build is. I have a hard time believing that a build with a $1000 GPU has such a tight budget when it comes to the most important part.

The Corsair RM PSUs are just fine here. But I'm very concerned; if your priorities here are so out of whack, I have to wonder what the rest of this system looks like.

Reactions: Phaaze88

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
At this point, I think I need to see what this whole build is. I have a hard time believing that a build with a $1000 GPU has such a tight budget when it comes to the most important part.

The Corsair RM PSUs are just fine here. But I'm very concerned; if your priorities here are so out of whack, I have to wonder what the rest of this system looks like.
I had some changes, i am currently considering a RTX 3060 ti and an i5 11400F, a gigabyte B560M aorus elite, 16 GB of crucial ballistix 3200MHz.

I know that my PSU choices are not the best, but then again, that's why I asked here.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
I had some changes, i am currently considering a RTX 3060 ti and an i5 11400F, a gigabyte B560M aorus elite, 16 GB of crucial ballistix 3200MHz.

I know that my PSU choices are not the best, but then again, that's why I asked here.
One extra non-PSU related thing, currently I'm going for gigabyte's RTX 3060 Ti gaming OC version, i can also go for the Eagle OC version, it has one lesser fan but is well, somewhat cheaper than that gaming OC version (around 14 USD) why is that? And should i make the changes, that'd allow me to freely go for the aorus P750W too

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I get that

Crunched some numbers, a gigabyte P750GM is the most i can do at my present budget, if a stretch it a little, can go for an aorus P750W
That's a time bomb!

If the budget is that limiting I'd get the Corsair. I personally wouldn't pair that system (or any other system for that matter) with a meh PSU but the Corsair is better than the others you listed. They said it's fixed but if you get a Gigabyte P750GM have a fire extinguisher handy.

One extra non-PSU related thing, currently I'm going for gigabyte's RTX 3060 Ti gaming OC version, i can also go for the Eagle OC version, it has one lesser fan but is well, somewhat cheaper than that gaming OC version (around 14 USD) why is that? And should i make the changes, that'd allow me to freely go for the aorus P750W too
One lesser fan is probably part of why it's cheaper. Then again less fan means less cooling. I'd get the one with better cooling. Less heat makes it live longer.

I would get less storage, save the money for a better PSU. Not get graphics card with less cooling for a less-meh Gigabyte PSU.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
I would get less storage, save the money for a better PSU. Not get graphics card with less cooling for a less-meh Gigabyte PSU.
I'm just getting a 1 tb hdd for it, actually it's a long story, but i already have two 512GB samsung PM981a with me, so yeah, i already have settled for lesser storage, but sure, ill get the corsair, it's falling barely an inch outside my budget so it won't hurt much.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
I can also get a Corsair RM650 at the very peak of my budget
This one then.
Also, what about the CX650F?
This one is fine too, if significantly cheaper.
Skip Gigabyte altogether. AP-GM might be fine but i don't trust them at this point with the way they've managed the P-GM situation.
Silverstone DA-G is kinda okay too, better than all options in the original post anyway, but i'm not confident with recommending it for this build, both Corsairs are better.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
This one then.

This one is fine too, if significantly cheaper.
Skip Gigabyte altogether. AP-GM might be fine but i don't trust them at this point with the way they've managed the P-GM situation.
Silverstone DA-G is kinda okay too, better than all options in the original post anyway, but i'm not confident with recommending it for this build, both Corsairs are better.
I'll get the RM650 then, actually the CX650F i was looking at was a renewed model, that's why it was cheaper[but i won't buy a used PSU]

TRENDING THREADS