Is the Corsair H75 enough to keep the Intel i7 4790K over clocked cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's going to depend on just how high you wanna overclock ... I'd give it a 3 on a scale of 1 thru 6

1. Stock - Intel Stock Cooler
2. Budget 3rd party cooler (i.e Hyper 212)
3. 120/140mm AIO (i.e H75)
4. High end air cooler (Phanteks PH-TC14-PE or Noctua DH-14) / Reasonable Quiet 2 x 120/144mm AIO (i.e. H110) .... < 40 dBA
5. 60+ dbA AIO
6. Custom Water Loop.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
He asked if it will keep it cool - and it will Yes, but why spend $80 when there a better solution for less than half that? That's why both SR and I suggested a better option (plus no chance of the 212 leaking ;) )...... weight? and EVO is what 1 lb....which is nothing on a mobo, and don't really see what looks have to do with cooling either....there are numerouds AIO coolers out there that are basically a waste of time - many just think they 'look cool', most are easily outperformed same or lower cost air coolers, which more often than not aren't as loud as the AIOs also

Alex Kelly

Honorable

That is true, if he would rather spend less money the EVO is a great option.
Looks are also important for a lot of people too though! Especially if you have a windowed case, air coolers are very ugly imo, and block a good view of the motherboard. :p
There is a TINY chance of a closed loop liquid cooler leaking.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

I'm not kidding, I've never heard of an AIO leaking before. But if you've seen it happen before, then your point is valid.
There is an incredibly low chance of that happening though. :)

Alex Kelly

Honorable

Thanks for the info. :)
I highly doubt the OP will have a leaking problem with a H75, though.
It would be a VERY rare occurrence. :)

Reducing strain on a MoBo is a solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist. Think about it .... what really is the significance of the 2 pound weight when you are applying the 60 - 70 pounds of clamping force recommended by cooler / TIM manufacturers ? The other problem that most peeps don't think about till they turn it on is with the AIOs that do edge the better air coolers is the extreme fan rpms (and the 60+dbA noise levels) required for them to do so. I have had vacuum cleaners that are quieter than those things.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/03/12/swiftech-h220-vs-corsair-h100i-noise-testing/

Unless you are shipping a pre-built PC via FedEx Ground or some other gorilla staffed service the weight of the cooler is a non-issue. Back in 1366 days I saw some problems with one particular brand of MoBo but the offending party has since joined the big boys using industry standard PCB thicknesses ... they also raised their MoBo warranty from 1 - 2 years to the industry standard 3 years.

My personal rig is custom water cooled..... and there is always a risk with water inside an electric system. Whenever there is risk, it should be weighed against potential advantages.... a custom water loop will:

1. Reduce noise to inaudible levels.
2. Substantially reduce CPU temperatures not otherwise obtainable with air cooling
3. Improve aesthetics, especially if done with rigid acrylic tubing (personally I hate look of flexible tubing)
4. Give you higher overclocks.

In my experience, CLCs simply do "none of the above" giving me nothing in return for that investment.

-There has not been a single CLC with 1 x 120/140mm rad ever made that can match the better air coolers. The fact that the $75-85 H75 can not compete performance or noise wise with the $25-35 Hyper 212 is a I think is mind boggling.

-There has not been a single CLC with 2 x 120/140mm rad ever made that can beat (> 1C) the better air coolers at comparable fan rpms and noise levels. The H110 and Kraken 60 do match or edge the DH14 .... but the Phanteks will top or match those and the DH15 and Cryorig R1 can top just about any of them.

-I have never seen or heard of a air cooler breaking a MoBo just sitting on a desk. OTOH, air coolers don't do this sitting on your desk.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1440506/my-corsair-h60-exploded-water-explosion

As for what the OC asked, I'm not sure how aesthetics and weight figure into OC'ing.....the H75 will allow a moderate OC, just not as much as a $25 Hyper 212.

From a technical / performance standpoint.....

1. Air coolers have better performance, better noise levels, greater safety and better pricing than 120/140 CLCs.

2. The Swiftech H220-X just rendered the 240/280mm CLC market obsolete with the H220-X..... With the H100i having an MSRP of $120 .... and the H110 at $130 .... the Swiftech just crushes everything in that price range:

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/cooling/liquid/40870-swiftech-h220-x-open-loop-240mm-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&start=3
http://www.overclockers.com/swiftech-h220x-cpu-liquid-cooling-kit-review
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?289340-Swiftech-H220-X-Review-Part-1-of-2

Alex Kelly

Honorable

What I said about reducing strain on the motherboard is true, but as I now know the EVO is a very light cooler anyway so it's not an issue. :)

The EVO is a much better budget choice, however I still believe there are positive things about the H75 that need to be considered. The way it looks being the main advantage, but also the fact that it forces hot air straight out of the case, which means there is no heat from the CPU going into the case that would need to be ejected by a case fan. It's not a big enough deal to cause any big temperate decrease for the GPU, but it might help reduce temps of other components by a few degrees. :)

We also have no idea what case he is using, so an air cooler like the EVO might not even fit.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The performance of the cooler is the issue - the fact the price is so good is an added advantage......I always find it scary when people make definitive statements about how good something is when the main argument is how it looks...and argue against something when they have no idea about it (like the 212 EVO being so 'heavy')

Alex Kelly

Honorable

I literally made one mistake. I thought the EVO would be heavier than it actually is. And it was just something I mentioned, not a reason not to get it.

It only matters if HE actually cares about how it looks. If he doesn't, the EVO is obviously the better choice if it can fit in his case.

It seems that you are just trying to argue with me now. :(

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
No, nothing to argue about. I and others suggested better alternatives, you disagreed then began making non-factual statements as definitive with nothing to quantify them. We've simply corrected your mis-statements, and based on these statements I offered the opinion I find it 'scary' when people make statements as FACT when they know not of what they say.

Again, while technically correct, I need ya to explain how this strain is an issue.

The biggest cooler weighs 2 pounds ..... how is this any way significant ? You tightened down your CLC so that it applies 60-70 pounds of clamping force as per cooler and TIM recommendations. So how is the 2 pounds a "bad thing" and the 60-70 pounds is perfectly fine ? Using this argument .....

.... you should get rid of your desktop and get a laptop as it would reduce the "strain" on your desk.
.....you should get rid of your overclock...better yet, downclock the CPU to reduce the "strain" on your cooling system.
.....you should downgrade your graphics card to put less "strain" on your PSU.

I could carry around a "phablet" (phone-tablet) instead of my laptop and it would "technically" reduce the "strain" on my arm. But the 6 pound lappie is hardy an "issue" for a grown man and certainly in now way a consideration given the drastic reduced functionality and performance I'd be subject to w/o the lappie.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

Now that I've looked at what I said, I agree with you. At first I actually thought the H75 would outperform the EVO.
Thanks for correcting me, I've learned some things from this and I really appreciate that. One of the reasons I love this forum is because I'm always learning new things. :D

I completely agree that it is scary when people make recommendations without being completely sure of what they are saying, and I feel terrible. I have edited my posts so the OP won't see my false statements.

The H75 is still a good choice though, if an EVO won't fit in his case or he cares greatly about how it looks. I stand by those statements. :p

Alex Kelly

Honorable

I literally just said.. I now know that the tiny bit of strain is nowhere near enough to cause any issues.
You don't need to take it to the extreme and offend me.

No, you said it wasn't an issue on the 212 cause it was light..... it needed to be said that it's not an issue on any PC air cooler, even this one:

12.jpg

Reducing strain from a cooler on a MoBo for a PC sitting on a desk is a solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

I get it... Okay? I never even suggested it was a 'solution' to a 'problem'.
I didn't realise even one of the heaviest air coolers is still light enough to not cause any issues.

King Kevain

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
Sorry to Necro an old thread, but this has been reviewed now so there's some science in it and as the 4790k's are pretty cheap now, it's relevant - basically, Guru3D tested on a 3770 which is essentially the same as a 4770, not quite a 4790k, but the gist is, its a suitable cooler up to Overclocking but don't go too crazy on the voltage, to simplify things, if your going to do a small OC full time its fine, if you plan on running the processor at its limit, get a 280mm Radiator like the H105. Personally, I like the Corsair coolers, they're a good pricepoint and are very reliable - they use bearing fans (mostly) and are PMW or LINK enabled.

Reviews here - http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/corsair-h75-review.html and here http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/65552-corsair-hydro-h75-h105-cpu-coolers-review.html

Personally, I wish I got the H105 instead, but no issues with my H75 so far, the rig is so quiet when paired with the MSI GTX970 4GB (fans don't kick in until the GPU hits 60degC)! So back to the OP's question, the Answer is Yep and Nah - depends on how hard you want to go with the OC as to whether the H75 will be suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.