[SOLVED] Is the Cpu a problem

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
I just want a quick answer to my Question. I have the Ryzen 5 3500 6 cores and 6 threads and I have the GTX 1660 ti. My games get stuttering problem and I have HWinfo open to see my stuff and when I get the stutters my gpu and my cpu is fine . I also have Windows on an HDD but have al my games on an SSD. SO the question is. Is 6 cores and 6 threads causing the stuttering problem. Is my cpu compatible with my gpu? Does having Windows on an HDD causing all of the problems? Should I get the Ryzen 7 3700X and pair it with the 1660 ti to solve my problem?

Solution
Blah. Too weak. Bunch of BS. A 1660ti is very respectable for 1080p, somewhat better than the 970 which was the goto for years. Graphics is not the issue.

In this case, I believe the stutter is caused by the hdd. The C drive is the root, everything goes through Windows, it's the Operating system. Regardless of source, all the game files get loaded into windows cache, (that's why you'll find saved games in Windows/my games, saves from cache), so the game starts on fast ssd, gets written to slow cache, read on slow drive into ram and finally the cpu gets to process the info. This makes for the cpu waiting on info for some frames, which causes a stutter. The more varied the intensity of the picture, the the cpu is stopping/starting, the...

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
What's your power supply?

Why don't you install Windows on SSD. it's way too faster.
I don't know how to install windows on an different drive and I don't want to copy windows and put it on my SSD because I been seeing that people couldn't boot after they copied windows and put it on a new drive.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
I don't know how to install windows on an different drive and I don't want to copy windows and put it on my SSD because I been seeing that people couldn't boot after they copied windows and put it on a new drive.

with SSD, microsoft word opens in 1 second, photoshop 5 seconds.
your power supply might not be enough. 3700X is 65w same as 3600.

here you can see that your 3600 is good enough for 1660Ti:

it says your gpu is too weak for this cpu.

however, can you tell us your temps? use Hardware monitor to get your gpu temps. and Ryzen Master to take your cpu temp.
put your cpu under stress test with Cinebench, so we can see your thermals are not throttling.

I'm trying to say : may be your cooling is keeping your system down, before deciding to buy psu.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
with SSD, microsoft word opens in 1 second, photoshop 5 seconds.
your power supply might not be enough. 3700X is 65w same as 3600.

here you can see that your 3600 is good enough for 1660Ti:

it says your gpu is too weak for this cpu.

however, can you tell us your temps? use Hardware monitor to get your gpu temps. and Ryzen Master to take your cpu temp.
put your cpu under stress test with Cinebench, so we can see your thermals are not throttling.

I'm trying to say : may be your cooling is keeping your system down, before deciding to buy psu.
I have the Ryzen 5 3500 and 1660 ti not Ryzen 5 3600 and 1060. My Ryzen 5 3500 is 65W as well. The model of my PC is HP Pavilion Gaming desktop TG01-0170m CTO (Custom To Order). If you are wondering what the HDD is it is the Toshiba DT01ACA100. If I knew the difference between a SSD and a HDD I would've gotten the SSD instead of the HDD. Also my pc doesn't take forever to boot it takes like 30 seconds

right now my temps are
GPU: 39c
CPU:54c

When gaming
GPU: 67c - 75c
CPU: 60c - 67c

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Blah. Too weak. Bunch of BS. A 1660ti is very respectable for 1080p, somewhat better than the 970 which was the goto for years. Graphics is not the issue.

In this case, I believe the stutter is caused by the hdd. The C drive is the root, everything goes through Windows, it's the Operating system. Regardless of source, all the game files get loaded into windows cache, (that's why you'll find saved games in Windows/my games, saves from cache), so the game starts on fast ssd, gets written to slow cache, read on slow drive into ram and finally the cpu gets to process the info. This makes for the cpu waiting on info for some frames, which causes a stutter. The more varied the intensity of the picture, the the cpu is stopping/starting, the more the stutter.

If you have game files on hdd, windows on ssd, game files get loaded into cache on the ssd, which can feed ram/cpu faster than cpu can demand, no stutter.

Solution

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020

In this case, I believe the stutter is caused by the hdd. The C drive is the root, everything goes through Windows, it's the Operating system. Regardless of source, all the game files get loaded into windows cache, (that's why you'll find saved games in Windows/my games, saves from cache), so the game starts on fast ssd, gets written to slow cache, read on slow drive into ram and finally the cpu gets to process the info. This makes for the cpu waiting on info for some frames, which causes a stutter. The more varied the intensity of the picture, the the cpu is stopping/starting, the more the stutter.

If you have game files on hdd, windows on ssd, game files get loaded into cache on the ssd, which can feed ram/cpu faster than cpu can demand, no stutter.
Thank you. Your explanation was very helpful. I already known my 1660 ti is far from weak. So you are saying, when I get an internal SSD and install windows on it all my stutter will be gone. I had a feeling my HDD was causing the problem since its my Windows Drive.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
I have the Ryzen 5 3500 and 1660 ti not Ryzen 5 3600 and 1060

right now my temps are
GPU: 39c
CPU:54c

When gaming
GPU: 67c - 75c
CPU: 60c - 67c

temps are fine,
3500 and 3600 and 3700x are all 65w.

your 1660Ti and 3500 are great for each other:
https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Ryzen_5_3500/GeForce_GTX_1660_Ti/0VS13f8A/8/100

most probably it's your psu. you definitely don't need a better cpu. btw, if you upgrade your gpu later, you'll need more power. so get a good psu is not a bad idea. 650w or more.
so, try installing windows on SSD. anything is better than spending money!

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020

He thinks his cpu is too weak.

btw, @Salt N Vinegar . don't upgrade your cpu now. DDR5 is coming in early 2022. So it's not a good idea to upgrade cpu. you don't need it anyway. your cpu and gpu are good match.
if you should buy anything, it's psu.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I was asking are they good for each other
Moot point. You can use that gpu with a 10900K or an older Pentium dual core, it all depends on the application. Games are realistically asking for 4+ threads at high clock speeds and decent IPC, it's the cpu that processes all the game code info a frame and ships it to the gpu. Then it's on the gpu to deliver a picture. As long as the cpu can deliver decent fps, it's all good.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
I didn't say my cpu was weak, I was asking are they good for each other

they're good. you asked for 3700x. nope, don't buy it.

my gpu uses 120W and my cpu uses 65W why upgrade?

was your system working before?
75c for gpu is a bit too high. mine would turn the pc off at that temp.
anyway, install windows on ssd first of all.

I'm mostly against buying 3700x, so I thought you're ready to spend. I wanted to divert you towards psu and gpu upgrade. any better gpu would require more power....

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
they're good. you asked for 3700x. nope, don't buy it.

was your system working before?
75c for gpu is a bit too high. mine would turn the pc off at that temp.
anyway, install windows on ssd first of all.

I'm mostly against buying 3700x, so I thought you're ready to spend. I wanted to divert you towards psu and gpu upgrade. any better gpu would require more power....
Yea I am ditching the 3700X I am just gonna get this ssd since it is compatible. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089DNM8LR/ref=twister_B087DY7KVS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Now, the new question is how do I install Windows on a new drive? do I have to use a USB FlashDrive?