Question Is the crackling noise from (most probably) the PSU just coil whine or a sign of something serious ?

Sep 19, 2021
My PC is an HP prebuilt with some crap HP bronze PSU in it (500w)

here's how it sounds: Vocaroo
you need to use headphones at full volume to be able to hear it, for some reason my microphone can't record the noise properly though it's clearly audible without the medium of a microphone. There is clearly some coil whine going around but aside from that there are a few light crackling noises that are a bit difficult to hear on a speaker.

This thing is weird, last night i decided to pull out the pc from the wall, pressed and held the power button to get rid of any remaining electricity then went to sleep. When i woke up the frequency of those stuff drastically reduced, i don't exactly know what makes them spike in frequency, as they also happen frequently when im just simply browsing the web

Though for some time there was a problem with my PSU that when i unplugged it from the cord (flushing out the static doesn't matter in this case) whenever i wanted to boot it back up it gets stuck on the windows logo screen, stays like that for about 2 minutes then it boots up with half of the hardware drivers (wifi, audio etc) in a non-working state. If i force shutdown the pc by holding down the power button then it would boot up normally. Please keep in mind that this malfunction somehow disappeared.

I ran my pc on an ungrounded outlet for like a month and during that time except the boot up problem i still had this crackling problem, and it sounded worse cause the pc was full of (static or something i guess?) electricity, it's been like so ever since i bought my pc.

Any help or idea would be appreciated, I'm thinking of sending my pc to the warranty.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
All I can hear is a beeping noise in the background and no sound of any arcing going on or even a buzz. If this is a prebuilt HP, please mention the model and SKU and the age of the power supply unit/prebuilt.

You might want to also relocate to another (grounded)wall outlet and see if the issue persists.

Sep 19, 2021
it is a bit hard to hear but there are surely crackling noises, you need to put the volume to the maximum, also that beeping is probably some kind of interference as i had to put the microphone of my headphones right to the wall of the psu from the case. When i put my ear right beside it i hear buzzing noises and the crackles

the link to the model that i currently have is here: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2032nt Bundle PC | HP® Türkiye (HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2032nt Bundle PC (434P2EA)) the page is in Turkish though, i have no idea if this model is being sold abroad.

The pc that I bought is about 1 years of age, likewise the PSU, though this has been ongoing for since I've bought the pc

The model of the psu:
part number: L81009-800
part description: GNRC PSU 500W WS20 FR GOLD (the specs in the link that i just provided says bronze)

edit: edited in some ampflication into my noise record and cropped in the part that directly had the crackling noise: Vocaroo

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I don't hear anything either.

But if you are hearing it, then this PC shouldn't even be on with this PSU installed. Replace immediately. You may have to look and see if the motherboard has normal PSU connections (24 pin, 4 or 8 pin CPU) to decide on a replacement.