[SOLVED] Is the Corsair CX430M enough for an RX 590 ?

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Hello, I'm planning to build a budget PC since I have a spare i3-9100F and a Corsair CX430M sitting around. Planning to pair it with the following:

i3-9100F
B250
8Gb ddr4 x 2
480GB SSD
RX 590 XFX 2304SP
Maybe some RGB fans

Would the Corsair CX430M 80+ Bronze be sufficient? (It says here 500w max power , idk if that's reliable.)

Solution
Oh. Alright, I understand, thanks for the quick replies. Can you please recommend a good PSU on a tight budget that can accommodate this build? Thanks!

Unfortunately, this is the wrong GPU for a tight budget because of the demands of an RX 590. Something like a 1650 Super would have left you with roughly the same performance at half the power and without the same transients. At loads, an RX 590 can demand 230-240W and can easily have spikes up to 40 or 50W beyond that.

I wouldn't go for anything less expensive than a Corsair CX 650 and ideally wouldn't recommend anything less than one of the gold-rated Thermaltake Toughpowers (only the Toughpowers from Thermaltake) and the Super Flower Leadex III Gold-rated ones that...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Absolutely not.

For one, this is the very old CX series, which was group-regulated, so it's not actually even a 430W PSU in any meaningful sense. The PSU's +12V maxes out at 384W.

It also wasn't even a very good group-regulated PSU, this was Corsair's bare budget, entry-level PSU. The CX PSUs weren't competent budget offerings until Corsair overhauled their PSU line around 2015 to make their budget CX offerings a lot better. This one is very cheaply made in addition to the design that's suitable for office PCs and gaming PCs from 1999.

The RX 590 is very power-hungry and with large transient spikes, so even a good 384W PSU would be completely unsuitable. The fact that this is a low-quality PSU that is now a decade old, and I would strongly urge anyone to not use this PSU with this build, even in a temporary "I'll get a new PSU in a month situation."

Reactions: Ahazuerus

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Oh. Alright, I understand, thanks for the quick replies. Can you please recommend a good PSU on a tight budget that can accommodate this build? Thanks!

Unfortunately, this is the wrong GPU for a tight budget because of the demands of an RX 590. Something like a 1650 Super would have left you with roughly the same performance at half the power and without the same transients. At loads, an RX 590 can demand 230-240W and can easily have spikes up to 40 or 50W beyond that.

I wouldn't go for anything less expensive than a Corsair CX 650 and ideally wouldn't recommend anything less than one of the gold-rated Thermaltake Toughpowers (only the Toughpowers from Thermaltake) and the Super Flower Leadex III Gold-rated ones that have been on sale recently.

Reactions: Ahazuerus
Solution

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019

I wouldn't go for anything less expensive than a Corsair CX 650 and ideally wouldn't recommend anything less than one of the gold-rated Thermaltake Toughpowers (only the Toughpowers from Thermaltake) and the Super Flower Leadex III Gold-rated ones that have been on sale recently.
Great, thanks for this, I think I'll settle for the CX 650.