Question Is the cx500m with green label reliable enough for my build?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Hi, I just got a new motherboard, the asrock Z97 pro4 with an i5-4670. I have a rm750 but that one is in my other build. I also have a cx500m that I havent used in ages. So the question is, will the cx500m be safe enough for my build?
Specs:
256gb m.2 ssd
I5-4670
Asrock Z97 pro4
Msi aero gtx 1650 oc itx
Hyperx 4*4 gb ram.
Ive seen videos about the cx line exploding when oc'ing. But ill probably only use turbo boost on my cpu and maybe overclock my gpu via msi afterburner. But will the psu fry my components? Or is it just good enough?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
I would not power anything worth more then 100$ with it. And if it really is "ages old" (even if not used) then probably I would pass at all.
Is it really that bad? I used it in my previous gaming pc, since then I never used it again. It was a msi 770-c45 with 4*2 gb ram, a gtx 650 2gb and an old hard drive. And is the cx500m just as bad as the old prebuilt dell/hp pc's power supplies that arent even certified?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not really, that is about as low as I would go.

A few Thermaltake's a little cheaper than that, but I wouldn't really trust them in a gaming PC. Maybe the TR2, I have had luck with it in lighter systems in the past, but it is only $2 less then the EVGA above.

The green label CX PSUs just have really cheap capacitors and were known for taking components out when they die. Given how old it must be, the chances are even higher it would pop. Now you aren't trying to power a lot with it, and it could be fine, but it could also die and take out the motherboard or drives.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Not really, that is about as low as I would go.

A few Thermaltake's a little cheaper than that, but I wouldn't really trust them in a gaming PC. Maybe the TR2, I have had luck with it in lighter systems in the past, but it is only $2 less then the EVGA above.

The green label CX PSUs just have really cheap capacitors and were known for taking components out when they die. Given how old it must be, the chances are even higher it would pop. Now you aren't trying to power a lot with it, and it could be fine, but it could also die and take out the motherboard or drives.
Then I wont risk it, since my components are really high end to me (because im broke) ill save up for a good quality psu. Btw, is it possible for me to buy psus on marketplace? Sometimes I see psus from 2018-2020 with 80+ bronze or 80+ gold certificats
for 10-40 euros. I have had experience with buying on marketplace and the only problems I have come across with are low end psus from hp prebuilts and harddrives.

Is it really that bad? I used it in my previous gaming pc, since then I never used it again. It was a msi 770-c45 with 4*2 gb ram, a gtx 650 2gb and an old hard drive. And is the cx500m just as bad as the old prebuilt dell/hp pc's power supplies that arent even certified?
Surely there are worse models then this one. But the main problem here is its age. The chance something 'pops' inside (and possibly take other components with it) grows up the older it is (again it does not even matter if it was used or not).

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Surely there are worse models then this one. But the main problem here is its age. The chance something 'pops' inside (and possibly take other components with it) grows up the older it is (again it does not even matter if it was used or not).
Oh ok, its 5 years old so I suppose its time for a new backup psu

TRENDING THREADS