Is the Dell Windows Xp Reinstallation disc also for recovery?

SocialNutter

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Hi,

My computer has been victim to a malware attack (exactly as described here: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Windows-XP-Logs-Then-Immediately-Logs-Off-t15771.html ) and while I have the Windows XP reinstallation disc which was supplied with my laptop, I'm unsure whether this is the same as the recovery disc talked about in the thread. I don't want to reinstall the OS as obviously I can't back up any of my files - does anyone know if the reinstallation CD also contains a recovery option?

Thanks!

Bearbacker54

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Grumpy,
I have had the same problem with a few differences.
My computer is a Dell Vostro 400 desktop.

It became infected and I managed to remove the problem using Malware Bytes.
The system ran okay for a few days but seemed a bit laggy until finally right in the middle of viewing a webpage, the system shut down and would not reboot.

I have run the diagnostic and received the error message "Windows could not start because the followig file is missing or corrupt:
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM."

I am not really computer literate so I hesitate to use the reinstallation CD if it means loosing everything on my C drive.

Can you just confirm it is safe to use this disc or do I need to get a copy of the orignal XP disc which I do not have?
The reinstallation disc reads - Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks for any help.