Question Is the dithering on IPS panels should/can be visible?

Jul 14, 2020
Good day everyone!
I have bought a cheap monitor recently (Asus VA24EHE) and it is pretty good for the most part (the colors, no severe blacklight bleed etc.) But it appears that I can almost see the seperate pixels on darker tones, and it is quite visible on lagom black test as most of the squares are dithered. I can see the noisy effect from dithering from 0.5m away from a monitor and lowering the contrast amplifies it even further. So I have become quite curious if it is okay by any means? I have no monitor to compare currently but my old tn panel, that suffers from the same thing as well, which as I have read is ok for TN panels. Should I RMA the monitor, or just simply get use to it?
Also the 2 squares on inversion test on lagoom appear to be on a purple side. Test from testufo shows no artifacts.

Jul 14, 2020
My also cheaper IPS screen when set at 75hz does the same thing, it has visible lines in some colors. at 60hz that goes away.
Thank you for the reply! I'm familiar with this issue but I have a rather different one. My monitor has a visible simple temporal dithering on grayer tones. I'm quite concerned if all displays in this price have simmilar FRC algorithms.
In regards to your paticular issue it appears that you are suffering from a poor/defective LG panel that most of the monitors from 2017-2018 use. My first monitor which I succesfully RMA'd was LG 24MK600B which suffered from the vary same problem which are faint vertical lines on orange, blue colors. It is described here: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/viewsonic-vp2468/.
"You can see that the red and blue subpixels are slightly thinner with larger gaps to the left and right than the green subpixels. We observed some vertical interlacing patterns on certain shades on this monitor, for example certain yellow, orange and blue shades which appeared to have a faint pinstripe effect of a very slightly lighter and darker alternation of the intended shade. These were subtle and not something everyone would actually notice, at 60Hz. Curiously, exactly as with the AOC, they become much more obvious at higher refresh rates (such as 75Hz) which could be achieved at the native resolution by ‘overclocking’ the monitor. This suggests it isn’t purely the subpixel layout that causes this. It’s far from a ‘deal breaker’ as it’s so faint at 60Hz, but it’s a curious observation to note now on 2 different Full HD LG AH-IPS panels we’ve used recently."

Thank you for the reply! I'm familiar with this issue but I have a rather different one. My monitor has a visible simple temporal dithering on grayer tones. I'm quite concerned if all displays in this price have simmilar FRC algorithms.
In regards to your paticular issue it appears that you are suffering from a poor/defective LG panel that most of the monitors from 2017-2018 use. My first monitor which I succesfully RMA'd was LG 24MK600B which suffered from the vary same problem which are faint vertical lines on orange, blue colors. It is described here: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/viewsonic-vp2468/.
"You can see that the red and blue subpixels are slightly thinner with larger gaps to the left and right than the green subpixels. We observed some vertical interlacing patterns on certain shades on this monitor, for example certain yellow, orange and blue shades which appeared to have a faint pinstripe effect of a very slightly lighter and darker alternation of the intended shade. These were subtle and not something everyone would actually notice, at 60Hz. Curiously, exactly as with the AOC, they become much more obvious at higher refresh rates (such as 75Hz) which could be achieved at the native resolution by ‘overclocking’ the monitor. This suggests it isn’t purely the subpixel layout that causes this. It’s far from a ‘deal breaker’ as it’s so faint at 60Hz, but it’s a curious observation to note now on 2 different Full HD LG AH-IPS panels we’ve used recently."

I guess you helped me more than I helped you :) , I contacted LG to get it replaced or repaired, I thought it was normal for a cheap screen to do at 75hz. Issue was not as bad at 60.

Jul 14, 2020
I guess you helped me more than I helped you :) , I contacted LG to get it replaced or repaired, I thought it was normal for a cheap screen to do at 75hz. Issue was not as bad at 60.
You are welcome! But in case it doesn't bother you, I would suggest you to keep it. As I am myself chasing the cheap IPS monitor that has no visible pixel grid on specific colors, and I must admit it's quite tough to find. As LG is one the biggest panel suppliers out there. Most of the LG models have this issue, as well as Acer, Aoc, and other manufacturers. As far as I know, most monitors from Philips and Asus do not. I'm currently rma'd my monitor for a Philips 246E9QJAB. It is being delivered and will arive shortly. From what I've read it has it's flaws, for it is a wide gamut monitor and colors can be a little bit oversaturated. But I will bite a bullet, in case it doesn't have any of the aformentioned issues.
Cheers!

You are welcome! But in case it doesn't bother you, I would suggest you to keep it. As I am myself chasing the cheap IPS monitor that has no visible pixel grid on specific colors, and I must admit it's quite tough to find. As LG is one the biggest panel suppliers out there. Most of the LG models have this issue, as well as Acer, Aoc, and other manufacturers. As far as I know, most monitors from Philips and Asus do not. I'm currently rma'd my monitor for a Philips 246E9QJAB. It is being delivered and will arive shortly. From what I've read it has it's flaws, for it is a wide gamut monitor and colors can be a little bit oversaturated. But I will bite a bullet, in case it doesn't have any of the aformentioned issues.
Cheers!

If they can't get me one without the issues I'll see if I can get a credit from them for a higher end model.