[SOLVED] Is the EVGA rtx 3080 FTW3 ultra a bad card

TheTealTiger

Prominent
May 18, 2020
As the title says is the EVGA rtx 3080 FTW3 ultra a bad gpu and should it be avoided. I just bought one and installed it and just read about the new world problems. Should I return it and go for another brand?

Solution
With the info that's been relayed so far, this is an Nvidia problem.
I mean, come on, some people trying to push ridiculous numbers on screen these days isn't unusual. The cards should be able to handle such things even though it does make the card use more power.

The hardware is flawed. Factory OCs as well as the choice of components used on the PCB by EVGA and other partners likely exacerbate the issue.
It just looks more telling with EVGA because of how many units they sold to 'gamers' compared to others; miners probably aren't going to speak up about any issues with the cards they acquired.

I've also heard 3080s break - you can bet the 3080Ti isn't immune either.
As for the lower tier cards: maybe? I'm waiting and seeing on those...

TheTealTiger

Prominent
May 18, 2020
From what I saw on YouTube part of the issues were like for example that the menus were allowing cards to run really high FPS. So new world may just need some tweaks to programming. But they did say turning on vsync should help.
Gues I keep it locked on 144fps bcs that is my screen max. Maybe somewhere in the software it can be done.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
I don't believe EVGA is particularly better or worse than other NVIDIA vendors. The reason why you see EVGA mentioned so much in relation to the problem is that they outsold all the other brands ( in 3090 segment) by several orders of magnitude.

As for their quality, the Graphics cards are a fairly low margin segment, and thus ( from manufacturer's perspective) you don't generally see much deviation from reference designs. Even in power delivery subsystems, on component level there aren't that many manufacturers to choose from ( reputable anyways). To a large degree the differentiation is in cooling solutions.

Now dying voltage regulators and inductors on 3090 isn't anything new, there are couple reasons why this can happen. It is not a problem unique to EVGA, it's just with EVGA being the most visible of the pack.

...current shoots up, voltage drops down, resistance accross circuit shoots up , things start burning up ...

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I mean, come on, some people trying to push ridiculous numbers on screen these days isn't unusual. The cards should be able to handle such things even though it does make the card use more power.

The hardware is flawed. Factory OCs as well as the choice of components used on the PCB by EVGA and other partners likely exacerbate the issue.
It just looks more telling with EVGA because of how many units they sold to 'gamers' compared to others; miners probably aren't going to speak up about any issues with the cards they acquired.

As for the lower tier cards: maybe? I'm waiting and seeing on those. It's possible they can't be pushed hard enough to make it happen.

Last edited:
Solution

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021

As for the lower tier cards: maybe? I'm waiting and seeing on those. It's possible they can't be pushed hard enough to make it happen.

That's actually not quite right, NVIDIA only provides the GPU and reference design and general recommendations how to implement it. It's up to the manufacturers to actually produce the circuits. Now having said that, despite 3090 being in price segment it is, board manufacturers should really bear in mind, most people will not pair those cards with 500 dollar power supply like AX1600i, and power delivery subsystem should reflect that reality

Rosencrantz

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I would argue EVGA is the best brand to get because they actually stand by their warranties and will do right by you. This issue is happening in other brands as well, so it's not an exclusive EVGA issue.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's actually not quite right, NVIDIA only provides the GPU and reference design and general recommendations how to implement it. It's up to the manufacturers to actually produce the circuits. Now having said that, despite 3090 being in price segment it is, board manufacturers should really bear in mind, most people will not pair those cards with 500 dollar power supply like AX1600i, and power delivery subsystem should reflect that reality
Hmm, you're right, it's not entirely Nvidia's fault.
Maybe Nvidia should've enforced their own specs more strongly, as the quality of the FEs is good, but as I understand it, the cost of the FE design was a slap to partner profits - that's why none of them used it.
Well, not the first time the green guys have screwed over their partners...

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
I currently own a evga 3070 and I must say I'm really not happy with it at all! And the terrible noise it makes when on game menus where ive seen the FPS go thru the roof makes the noise make a lot more sense now. If the GPU market wasn't in the mess it's in right now I would have sent it back for a refund months ago. Mine and my son's PC's are identical apart from he's having a 2060s (not evga) and performance wise it's not far behind the 3070. As for the cards overheating and blowing from game that says it all really.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Hmm, you're right, it's not entirely Nvidia's fault.
Maybe Nvidia should've enforced their own specs more strongly, as the quality of the FEs is good, but as I understand it, the cost of the FE design was a slap to partner profits - that's why none of them used it.
Well, not the first time the green guys have screwed over their partners...

The problem goes back to Nvidia's decision to start producing their own cards, which in many ways mirrors the 3Dfx decision in times when they were the top dog with its Voodoo cards.
Now Nvidia has learned for mistakes that eventually led to 3Dfx's downfall, but the position it has put its board partners in is very much the same, leaving companies like EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI in the position where at launch of any product line, NVIDIA is their key supplier and direct competitor at the same time. And even after FE is done leaves them with ridiculously small margins to work with and precious little room to manevour. It is worth nothing that when NVIDIA produced their first cards, there was a huge backlash from board partners, because the 3Dfx situation was still quite fresh in their their minds, and more importantly in their books. All of the sudden NVIDIA started saying how limited numbers these cards were, and they had no intention of becomming a full blown card producer. For a while after that, there were still gruntled voices in the industry on how "limited" those runs were, and thats about the time when the "Founders Edition" moniker was born.

Now fast forward to the present day, we have an ecosystem, when NVIDIA skimms the large share of the cream from the top of each launch. Additionally (at least before covid) with its FE sets the pricing level board partners must fall in line behind ( at least for the volume SKUs) and entirely controls the pricing of key components in board partners product. Now add the relatively short product cycle of each generation, factor in how long and how much money it takes to produce boards based on those those new GPUs and you have an enviroment where lion's share of risk involved is with board partners who work with as little as 3% margin on the volume SKUs. And finally take a moment to consider how many new NVIDIA board partners we've seen to enter the market in the last 15 years compared to how many we've seen to fade away. The bil. dollar question is, how much room is there for quality when you work in environment that tight ( and no, those cards are not leaving the factory anywhere near the prices you as customer paid for them, not even before covid).

And there's the question how to differentiate to appeal to your customer, you bump up the clocks, touch up power delivery ( only if you really really have to) and make your own cooler.

What i believe NVIDIA needs to do is to finally decide if it wants to become a full fledged consumer board manufactuer or pure chip designer and supplier.

Last edited: