Is the finger on the cpu a guaranteed test

joojoo1234

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Is the finger on the cpu 5 second test a guarantee that the cpu is functioning properly? Have two new motherboards and an Eagle PSU that has tested as working correctly with my fancy electrical meter.
The system is not shorting.

I have tried it all in regards to troubleshooting (pulled ram etc...... my only question is the 5 second test and is it possible that a new 500w eagle brand is not enough to start an AMD940 with onboard video. Seems hard to believe. Both new motherboards won't start. It has to be the cpu or the power supply. Yes I have wiped the CMOS. CPU is getting hot at around 5 seconds.

System fans spin up but no video.... monitor not waking and it is fine.

Solution

Noone else thinks is CPU is DEAD..... dont look further your constant is the CPU... you tried everuthing else except another CPU

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
If you're putting your finger on the CPU that indicates to me that you have no heatsink/fan attached to the CPU. Of course the CPU is gettin hot!!!
Put some heat sin compound on the CPU and install the HSF. That should improve the situation. Did that power supply come with a case originally?

joojoo1234

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
First, thanks for the reply... but not that much of a newb! ;) I am measuring the power supply with a multimeter and don't know about the heat sink? :) That power supply is added to the antec 300 case. I am just curious about the validity of the 5 second cpu functioning pull plug power test.

This machine will not awaken monitor and or get to boot on any board.
It is not a short.
It is not cmos.
It is not cable to monitor.
It is not monitor.
Unless I got two dead new motherboards it is not either motherboard.
Power supply measures within spec.

Both motherboards have onboard video.
CPU gets hot doing the 5 second finger on cpu test. I heard this guarantees the CPU works... it is an either or situation.... TRUE... FALSE ???

My 4th build.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
does it boot?

do you hear a "beep"?

verify that both main and CPU power connectors are set properly on the motherboard.
(and not slightly loose)

verify that the case connectors are on the right position on the motherboard.

verify that RAM sticks are on their correct slots (assuming that you have 2 sticks and a 4 RAM slot motherboard, they must be in the 1-3 slots)

first off i would not reccomend touching the cpu with power to it...ever!!!
second you need three things to boot cpu-video-ram if your not booting one of them is at fault.
if power is your problem most times you will see the front power indicator will be orange vs green or the normal led color.

do you hear any beeps, if so try to write down the code.
two different types long and shor and in what sequence.

joojoo1234

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
I have a speaker and no beeps. The motherboard is mounted correctly. Tested with the motherboard out of case as well. Pulled ram and no beeps. One stick and no beeps. Other stick and no beeps (two sticks total)

I have straightened some bent pins on the CPU and was concerned about this but the CPU is hot after running a while as it is hot around the base just putting your hand down there... not too hot either... normal. I heard that testing a power supply with a multimeter is a waste of time others say it is a valued tool.... it measures working.

Hard drives are new and have been disconnected regardless. I am reading that a bad CPU is incredibly rare.... this computer is to be networked to my other one. I have this 940 amd left from diagnosing my other computers problems which turned out to be the motherboard. Since then the CPU has sat on its shipped foam on my dresser pins down in the antistat foam. The power supply is only 26.00 dollars as I just purchased it. Perhaps this regardless of measurement is the problem.

I have nothing connected and no pci cards.

joojoo1234

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Well I have no LED power lights.... never bothered to hook them up and was curious.... still that does not tell me what it is.... but I am guessing that it is the motherboard as I have heat from the cpu and the power supply has measured correctly although not under load. I don't think I should take a motherboard off the top of the stack from now on as I think they may just put them back to use us as Guinea pigs before sending them back.

joojoo1234

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Well... called a computer shop... he is with me that it is the motherboard. He stated that it is VERY common that motherboards are bad as in DOA. I will always order two from now on and return one. I will let you know.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

This, right there, if you didn't "bother to hook the power lights" what else you might have not bother to hook up?

Make sure that you "hook up" ALL case connections, specially the POWER Button, Reset Button, HD led, Power led, and any USB, e-sata, fire wire, sound.

Of course someone at the "convenient" computer shop will tell you to BUY another motherboard!
Duh!
That's what they do, take advantage of people is their MAIN business.

joojoo1234

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Will not hooking up the reset button prevent a boot? I have read to not even hook up the reset button and keep it to the bare minimum. I will try what you are implying and hook up all connections and see if this works as I have not heard of a motherboard not booting because the LED panel was not hooked up... but you never know.
I am not buying the motherboard from this guy... he knows I am returning the one from microcenter.
Thanks though... I will give it a shot.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

Also make sure that +/- are on the correct pins and not reversed.

I know it sounds "silly" but it can happen, this "silly" "thing" would not allow it to boot for simple reasons.

:hello:

bucknutty

Distinguished
as general trouble shooting step i unplug every thing when a computer wont post. A short in a usb header a stuck rest switch, a damged power switch, can all cause a computer not to post. A bad sata cable, or messed up IDE port can cause the computer to fail posting and lock up. A bad case or misplaced ofset can short on the board and prevent booting. If I did not build it I asume its wrong and, I take the board out and run it on the table.

To try to get it to post keep it simple.
Board
chip
1 ram stick
video card or on board video.
power connections from PSU to board.

touch the power pins on the board with a metal object, i actuall have an extra power switch that is not in a case and i know is good, i use for testing.

If it wont post then you know the issue is one of those 4 itmes. Swap ram and PSU with extras or test items. Now you know it is CPU or Board. Check online to make sure your board does not need a bios update to take that nice new chip.

Once you get it to post then plug in hds and stuff.

If you don't have a HSF on the CPU (especially a high-wattage chip like the 940), it will heat up and shut itself down for self-preservation long before it gets to boot. You MUST have a HSF on the CPU!
The computer shop guy offering a diagnosis over the phone without seeing the system is either a mindless sales droid trying to get you to buy stuff, or an outright crook. Is the mobo mounted on standoffs?

joojoo1234

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Well... still no go. To be clear. Both the 24 pin and the four and the cpu fan... plus all the miscellaneous led and reset and power front panel hooked up with polarity correct... plus video cable.... to working cable and monitor... and working wall adapter... tested... still no go. Does the cpu come into play as far as the power led lights or is this just the motherboard or just the power supply? Anyone POSITIVE WHICH IT IS? This is a gigabyte board. Oh and I have pulled ram and the board should howl when no ram is installed and it is started which it does not do.

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

Noone else thinks is CPU is DEAD..... dont look further your constant is the CPU... you tried everuthing else except another CPU

Solution

bucknutty

Distinguished
All boards a different. Some will give an error beep or a blinking light with no CPU at all. Some will do nothing.

I agree no ram should give you a bunch of beemps. The fact that you dont get that suggests the falure is the PSU board or CPU.

joojoo1234

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Well. We are going to find out if it is the Power Supply which tested fine or the CPU... which would then indicate a bad second board. It is not a short either... standoffs.. and breadboarded. I am going to pull a cpu and power supply and give those a shot. I would have done this earlier but I hate to open and mess with a functioning computer. I should say that I have installed a Gigabyte board in this same case just a year or two a go and went fine. Which makes me think even more it is the CPU except that it gets hot and I heard its hot or not... alive or dead. Place some odds.

joojoo1234

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009

joojoo1234

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
So the problem was..... drummmmmmmmmmmmm rolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

CPU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you CANNOT know that a CPU is good just because it gets hot.

lafontma figured right. Thanks ALL for your input. I am just going to leave my x6 on their and go buy an x8 or another x6.... as I am networking them together.
Sucks though... had this 940 left over and thought it was good....

tHANKS AGAIN PROBLEM SOLVED AND MONEY SPENT.... YUCK