Is the GameDebate "Can I Run It?" Tool Reliable?

Lasvicus

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
I was using it to see if a specific setup would be able to run ESO well at 1080p, and it got kinda weird.
I put i5 4690k, gtx970 EVGA OC 4GB, and 8GB RAM... It told me that the RAM was on the low side, and it would cause bottlenecking. So I went back and changed it to 12GB, and it changed and told me that the CPU would cause bottlenecking. Ive messed around with the specs for a bit, and the sweet spot seems to be downgrading to a plain old gtx970 and using 10GB RAM. I personally, have never even heard of 10GB, and the online custom PC store im using doesnt allow that option anyway. Would using 12GB/ 8GB RAM mess up performance if i use the aforementioned CPU and GPU? Is GameDebate a reliable way of determining how well any given setup will work with any given game?

Solution
Ram isn't that intensive on vg's to update. You want to worry about ram timing's, speeds' etc. if you're working with memory intensive applications. Like photoshop, video rendering, virtual machines. Things that require a great deal of it as it stands games don't use a lot of ram. You only need about 8 gigs and thats on the safe side anymore then that for now is unnecessary. 12 gigs is more then enough.

Cpu's. Most games are optimized too only using 2 cores, few even touch 4 cores or more. That said, you wouldn't be getting any "massive" performance increases by going i5 4690k to i7 4790k. The only real difference are cpu clock speeds the 3.5ghz to 4.0ghz and hyperthreading. The .5ghz difference can easily be achieved with an...

drixkarasu

Reputable
May 13, 2015
ESO will run perfectly using a 4690k, a 970 and 8GB of RAM.
The 4690k is a really powerful CPU more than you need for ESO, and 8GB will be enough, having 12GB probably won't make a real difference in performance (it might help if you have lots of stuff running in the background while gaming).
Those sites are generally not so reliable, they often overstate what you need just to be on the safe side.

Lasvicus

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

Well, more than "needed" was what i was aiming for.
Not overkill, just... More xD
But I'm aiming for High at 60fps (not just when nothings happening), so would using an OC gtx970 be too much? (cause bottlenecking) Or would it be better just to stick with a plain old gtx970?

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014

You have to take into account that eso is an mmo. Realistically getting 60+ fps on high isn't feasible on the simple problem of having too many actors in area, or other people, you can however get 60 fps outside of towns densely populated areas, would i say 60fps+ no maybe 50's i'd say. If you want to run it at higher frame rates or get more stable frame rates you're better off getting a 980. That said, 970's a great card it should do fine at those settings.

Lasvicus

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

Well, assuming i bump it up to a 980 (maaaaybe OC?) should i also upgrade the cpu (maaaaybe to 4790k?) or ram (maaaaybe 12/ 16GB?)

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
Ram isn't that intensive on vg's to update. You want to worry about ram timing's, speeds' etc. if you're working with memory intensive applications. Like photoshop, video rendering, virtual machines. Things that require a great deal of it as it stands games don't use a lot of ram. You only need about 8 gigs and thats on the safe side anymore then that for now is unnecessary. 12 gigs is more then enough.

Cpu's. Most games are optimized too only using 2 cores, few even touch 4 cores or more. That said, you wouldn't be getting any "massive" performance increases by going i5 4690k to i7 4790k. The only real difference are cpu clock speeds the 3.5ghz to 4.0ghz and hyperthreading. The .5ghz difference can easily be achieved with an aftermarket air cooler so you don't need to worry about that. Hyperthreading's once again used in rendering or virtual machines mostly i doubt any game would really take advantage of that maybe, a total war game. All the other parts the instructions are the same across cpus.

Gpu is where it'd count the most. At least in games, if you want to see a visible frame difference go for a better gpu everything else on your rig is perfectly fine.

So unless you plan on doing a lot of multitasking with your eso, i wouldn't bother with ram or cpu upgrade it's great as it is. Gpu sure 980 is what i'd recommend. Upgrading from a reference 970 to a non reference 970 is waste it's price v performance not worth it. If you really want to go all out the highest i'd go is 980 ti but even then that's far pushing the boundary of price v performance.

Solution