[SOLVED] Is the GeForce RTX 2070 Super pretty stable?

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
I've been looking at the Radeon RX 5700 XT, but from what I've been reading they have a lot of problems. I noticed for a $100 U.S. more I could get a GeForce RTX 2070 Super. I'm just wondering if they have any issues. I prefer to buy on newegg. My budget for a GPU is $500 U.S. and I want to eventually upgrade my display and play games at 1440p. I noticed on the Tom's Hardware GPU Hierarchy 2020 that the RTX 2070 Super scores almost on par with the RX 5700 XT. By the way, my CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600X.

Also, this Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC is the one I'm currently looking at, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Solution
2070s is slightly ahead in most games. I've seen as well many 5700XT problem posts. Issues will probably settle with driver updates but you know, Nvidia, even though they've had issues too, their driver software is usually more refined.

From an Nvidia user, i've never had a bad driver but haven't always convulsed in updating to the latest for the sake of it, so there could have been bad eggs i conveniently missed.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
2070s is slightly ahead in most games. I've seen as well many 5700XT problem posts. Issues will probably settle with driver updates but you know, Nvidia, even though they've had issues too, their driver software is usually more refined.

From an Nvidia user, i've never had a bad driver but haven't always convulsed in updating to the latest for the sake of it, so there could have been bad eggs i conveniently missed.

Solution
I had an ASUS RoG Strix RTX2070 Super for 6 months and I never had a single issue with it. I used it for 1440p 144Hz gaming. I had no problems with the card, and no problems with drivers or software. I always update to the most recent driver a few days after release, however I do avoid GeForce Experience.
The card ran stable and at advertised speeds (and above without OCing). Temps were good too, never exceeding 63'c when stresstesting.

If you don't mind the extra cost of the card, I can highly recommend one.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
When it comes to drivers, Nvidia has much more stable drivers and they also do very frequent driver updates, with optimizations for new and even older games, bug fixes etc. AMDs drivers become much better, but they are less frequent and especially in the beginning, when new cards come out, not quite as polished.
The 2070 super is a great card, and almost as fast as the 2080 non-super. Also, you getting ray tracing , not a must but a nice to have. With this card you get 60+FPS in 1440p with ray tracing, in the available games like BF5, Metro exodus, SOTTR, COD Modern warfare. (Don’t forger, both upcoming next gen consoles will have raytracing capability, ps5 and Xbox series x, that means that big game titles will use raytracing more and more.)
For the 100 extra bucks you get more performance and ray tracing. Is it worth 100 bucks? That is up to you to decide.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I've owned four of their cards over the years and never had any trouble. Gtx 770/780 and 1070 / 1080Ti.

I don't use their rgb software though so couldn't speak of experience with it. Don't care much for that anyway since my case is in a cabinet.

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I had an ASUS RoG Strix RTX2070 Super for 6 months and I never had a single issue with it. I used it for 1440p 144Hz gaming. I had no problems with the card, and no problems with drivers or software. I always update to the most recent driver a few days after release, however I do avoid GeForce Experience.
The card ran stable and at advertised speeds (and above without OCing). Temps were good too, never exceeding 63'c when stresstesting.

If you don't mind the extra cost of the card, I can highly recommend one.

can i ask why you stay away from geforce experience?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't use GE either. Don't like the settings it chooses when optimising. Often it sets res scaling, antialiasing too high amongst other settings. I know there's a quality slider the optimisations are based on but prefer to do it myself so i know how individual settings affect the game.

I also prefer to install/update driver myself.

can i ask why you stay away from geforce experience?

I Don’t find GeForce Experience very useful. I’ve had it installed previously, but I never used it, and the first thing I always did, was to disable most of its feauteres, especially auto optimization - for all the exact reasons Boju explains perfectly in the post above. I find that I get better performance and image quality when I choose settings for games myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: boju