Is the GIGABYTE GA-990FX-Gaming AM3+ Good?

popeyetyty

Reputable
May 7, 2016
Is the GIGABYTE GA-990FX-Gaming AM3+ Rev 1.0 Good i am wondering because i want to overclock my Phenom II X4 945 like a lot to around 3.6 or more GHz with my Hyper 212 EVO and please DONT comment saying no get INTEL. (I want to get a FX 83XX later on aswell.) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128886&cm_re=AM3%2b_Gaming_Motherboard-_-13-128-886-_-Product Or should i get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130790&cm_re=AM3%2b_gaming_motherboard-_-13-130-790-_-Product

TJ Hooker

Champion
Ambassador
I really don't think it's a good idea to sink hundreds of more dollars (that mobo, and then an FX 83xx later on) into a dead platform with mediocre performance potential. If you don't want to go with Intel, maybe wait for Zen?

popeyetyty

Reputable
May 7, 2016

popeyetyty

Reputable
May 7, 2016

Well i know that but AMD did a Ashes of the singularity and it got like 54 FPS while the best I5 got 48 and the 8350 got like 44 or something like that.

TJ Hooker

Champion
Ambassador

Well, seeing as how you plan to replace your mobo and CPU, I would normally suggest you just get an i5 (which would outperform your planned build in most applications and likely be the same price or cheaper). However, I suggested Zen instead because you said you didn't want any Intel suggestions. I admit that waiting for Zen isn't an ideal solution, as it sounds like mainstream CPUs won't be out until Q1 2017 at the earliest, and performance is still up to speculation.

Regarding the AotS benchmark, I wouldn't give too much weight to them. They're leaked benchmarks, and use an engineering sample of the CPU clocked at ~3 GHz. If nothing else, I think the final product is expected to be clocked at least a little higher.

popeyetyty

Reputable
May 7, 2016

Actually it was base clock of 2.4 and overdrive of 2.6 or 2.8.

popeyetyty

Reputable
May 7, 2016
also thats why i was thinking of just getting that MOBO and CPU, also i cant go intel, cause i cant get the MOBO then CPU later i would have to get both. I dont have the money to get it at the same time and i want a better MOBO than CPU. Also that would be amazing if Zen was backwards compatible to AM3+ boards.

popeyetyty

Reputable
May 7, 2016

Yes i know i was saying it would be nice if it was backwards compatible like AM3 being compatible with AM2, now not all CPU's are like that but they do have some that are.

AceScottie

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Simple answer probably. But if you are an avid computer user read on...

The 990fx gaming (i will shorten to 990 for simplicity), Is an ok board if you want to run standard stuff and maybe OC a little.
However, there are many cons to using this board.
Firstly it cannot run Linux ... i dont know why and gigabyte have stopped responding to me. I have tried Ubuntu, Gparted, Kali, TinyCore and and a few other distros of Linux and every time i cannot get it to power the USB devices plugged in, This is for the keyboard (which i have my nice one and a standard cheep one you get for about a few pence) I have tried 3 mice and currently using the Mad Catz MMO T.E but i have tried generic mice and one i got from ebay and i get nothing from them, no lights no optical activity, nothing. It runs the USB im installing from but other than that every other port is pretty much dead.
Now i did contact Gigabyte with this issue and they kindly responded with a BIOS update (F2 but before official release) however that failed and they send me release F3 (still not officially released) and neither worked. There were errors on some distros about "USB device failed to enumerate /64" I am now using the official F2 release and still nothing, so no Linux.

Secondly there are MANY BIOS issues. If you do plan to OC prepare for the most annoying crap... you have to either wait 5 minuets after pressing the power button for it to power on (exaggeration) or press the power button twice. I dont know which option creates this bug but it seems that any modification will instantly force you to press twice ... probably not a deal breaker but after 6-8 months of this and switching ever possible option i still cant find the solution.

Finally there is no display port of any kind on the back, so your limited to having a external GPU at all times. I didn't think this was a problem till the board blew up and took the GPU with it and to my annoyance the replacement board arrived 2 days before the GPU meaning i had a fully working PC which i couldn't get a video output from for 2 days. (i had external stuff but the drivers were not installed and i disable RDC due to exploits it creates). If you do get this board get a cheep GPU just encase your main one dies.

So that's some of the issues out of the way and to clarify no i dont like the board as it stands now and gigabyte need to pull their fingers out to fix some of these bugs. But there are some pros too.
Firstly the OC potential of this board is really good. Currently im sitting on a 4.7GHz OC (from 4.0) on a FX 8350, and my restraint only comes from cooling and not from any limits set by the motherboard or CPU (other than thermal cutoff which is 62 degrees C approx)

Secondly with a M.2 SSD and Windows 10 the boot time is amazing! Now i do like to optimize my boot profile so i only have AV, Graphics panel and Mouse Profile starting with boot (and some necessary windows stuff) and i clocked it at around 8 seconds after POST (windows logo) or about 15 seconds with POST, this also includes me typing my password which im fairly quick at with about 0.8 seconds either way.

Lastly, there is a lot of support with the motherboard. from what i have seen while diagnosing my last board there are at least 3 case fan 4 port connections and the additional one for the CPU. Additionally there are the 3 GPU ports (all 3 are 16x in both size and speed) and the afore mentioned M.2 port which supports basically every M.2 card available. On the IO there are a 2 USB3.0, 2 USB3.1 and 4USB2.0 and 1 USB typeC along with your standard 1Gbps Ethernet (from killer so make sure to get the latest driver or it will lag/BSOD) and audio jacks (which i never use)

So incase you dont want to read the wall of text (sorry) here's the overview
Pros:
Really good OC support.
Stupidly fast boot with M.2 and windows 10.
Good Comparability both internal and IO

Cons:
Cant run Linux (as of official F2 BIOS and unofficial F3 BIOS)
Horrible BIOS issues (really annoying to deal with (ok if you leave stock defaults)
No on-board video (need a spare GPU just in case)

Note: The reason i had 2 board was because a water pump leaked and blew the old one. It still works but will need a few weeks to dry out the water logged PCI-e port and stop smoking. Good testament to its durability there)
Note2: If anyone else has managed to run Linux please tell me how! seriously i need to know :)

akOSvfr

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
Sames issues here, can't overclock my Phenom 1100T... :( Setting multiplier does nothing and Load Line Calibration is spastic!
I have only managed to run Linux (Kali) live CD, but when I got to install, i got errors, no matter what I disabled and tweaked in the BIOS. I haven't tried loading other drivers during the install.
The same old notorious Gigabyte's Firmware and Software curse.
Good luck to everyone!
P.S. I will contact Gigabyte's support, maybe if we will all do it, the create a new BIOS version resolving all this...

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS