Question Is the GPU dying

Jul 27, 2019
My son built himself a gaming PC just short of 2 years ago, he had a 1070ti GPU in it and it ran perfectly fine. In February he bought off ebay a MSI 1080ti GPU everything seemed OK but in the last few weeks his PC is lagging really bad. When playing SWTOR after 10 minutes of playing the server lag goes from 30milli seconds to 9000 milli seconds.
Even his RGB keyboard lags when the lights change.
He took the 1060 GPU out of his sisters PC and everything seemed fine playing SWTOR but then he played an intensive match on Battlefront 2 and it started lagging again. He also put in his new 1TB ssd and the lagging got worse. That makes three drives in total, 250ssd for operating system, 1TB Hdd for storage and his new 1TB SSD that he's transferred all his games to from the Hdd.

Running some tests yesterday system power usage went from moderate to very high.

My question is the GPU at fault or is the power supply not strong enough? it is a 550watt supply.

Thanks for you help.

Jul 27, 2019
No system spec's ???
make and model of PSU ??
And here's my pc specs:

CPU:
Motherboard:
RAM:
GPU:
HDD:
PSU
HWINFO from here https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

I would think its PSU related
Sorry about that the specs are.
CPU: i7-7700K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270P-D3
RAM: G. SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR4 3200mhz (4 X 8GB)
GPU: MSI Gaming X 1080Ti
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm
SSD: Crucial CT240BX300 + SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM550x

Would a 750 watt PSU be enough for a replacement?

Jul 27, 2019
Well here's hoping, my son ordered a Corsair 750watt PSU from amazon yesterday afternoon its arrived this morning. He put his PC specs into a website yesterday and it estimated his PC would be running at 490watts. So hoping the new PSU will solve the lagging issues.

Jun 10, 2019
Then maybe the GPU is faulty ?
I believe he said they tried with multiple GPUs. So that is probably not it.

Can you tell what sort of lag it is? CPU/GPU/internet? You can fiddle with the visual settings and resource monitor.

You mentioned lag and provided latency (30 to 9000 ms). Do you mean spikes in that range or are we actually talking about latency and there is no visual lag?

Regarding viruses, they might go undetected. I recently found a miner on my PC and the antivirus didn't find it. Also, it was quite sneaky as it stopped working when I opened the task manager. Not the resource monitor though. That's how I found it. (I noticed that my CPU was getting maxed out and the fan was revving up, which is why I went looking there in the first place.)

Jul 27, 2019
I believe he said they tried with multiple GPUs. So that is probably not it.

Can you tell what sort of lag it is? CPU/GPU/internet? You can fiddle with the visual settings and resource monitor.

You mentioned lag and provided latency (30 to 9000 ms). Do you mean spikes in that range or are we actually talking about latency and there is no visual lag?

Regarding viruses, they might go undetected. I recently found a miner on my PC and the antivirus didn't find it. Also, it was quite sneaky as it stopped working when I opened the task manager. Not the resource monitor though. That's how I found it. (I noticed that my CPU was getting maxed out and the fan was revving up, which is why I went looking there in the first place.)
There is actual visual lag when he's playing online games. Also strange but his RGB gaming keyboard also lags. The transition through the colours instead of running smoothly is very jerky with a noticible delay from pressing a key to the lights actually coming on.
Neither of us are technically minded when it comes to PC's.

Together we built his PC and then one for his sister. His sisters runs fine. His has only started to lag in the last few weeks and only does so after he's Bern playing a game 10-20 mins.

Jun 10, 2019
Well, assuming it's the CPU, look at the CPU usage graph in the task manager or resource monitor while it's happening. Try to see which process (if any) uses a lot of CPU.

As I said, it's probably not the GPU. But just to be safe, do try to reduce the graphics settings of the game and see if that helps. Just so we can cross that off the list of possible sources.

Since you have 32 GB of RAM, I doubt you're running out of it, but if you do notice high usage in the task manager or resource monitor, let us know which processes are doing it.

Jul 27, 2019
Well, assuming it's the CPU, look at the CPU usage graph in the task manager or resource monitor while it's happening. Try to see which process (if any) uses a lot of CPU.

As I said, it's probably not the GPU. But just to be safe, do try to reduce the graphics settings of the game and see if that helps. Just so we can cross that off the list of possible sources.

Since you have 32 GB of RAM, I doubt you're running out of it, but if you do notice high usage in the task manager or resource monitor, let us know which processes are doing it.
Thanks I'll show him this and get him to do it next time he's on the PC.