Question Is the graphics card ruined?

HisoHiso

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
A couple of days ago, while playing a game in my pc, it froze and i didnt managed to open it again. Some time ago it had frozen 2 consecutive times, but i thought it was a temperature problem, and after installing 2 fans the problem seemed to had gotten solved. However, this time, no matter how many times i open the pc, after some time it takes me to a what seems like a corrupted welcome screen and then to a blue screen, from where i can do nothing. A friend of mine told me that most likely its the graphics card that has been destroyed, but i want to be sure before buying a new one. If this isnt the problem, what could it be and how can i solve it?

By the way, something more of a coincidence but for better or for worse i will mention it, i have a 3 meter hdmi cable that has been putting pressure on the one end of the hdmi. After the freezing i am talking about happened, i pulled it out from my pc usb only to have the usb end of the cable stack in the port and wires coming out from the end of the cable now. I know its most likely a coincidence, but could this have happened to sabotage the system or something? Thanks in advance

HisoHiso

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
the fact that you still have image output from the gpu indicates that it is not completely FUBAR
Going from the info you provided you may have some heat issues, what gpu are we talking about? Has the TIM been replaced etc
Thing is, since i went from having 1 fan to having 3 fans, i dont see how heat could have been an issue anymore. I am not sure what gpu i have, since i cant log in my pc to check it, but its been many years since i had it. I dont know what TIM is but i dont think i have done anything weird to that card.

From the first picture/image which you have posted, those artifacts, square boxes might indicate a faulty GPU. Most probably a VRAM corruption issue. But to fully rule this out, you need to check the card on some other PC as well.

List your FULL PC specs. Does your Motherboard support onboard/integrated Graphics ?

well my friend, we need to know what gpu it is first and foremost, you can check the bios for that

or, if the pc is a prebuilt, check your specs online

having fans is only one aspect of cooling, a gpu has some sort of paste between the fans and the actual "GPU" which is a chip and also cooling pads on the ram both of these may need replacement with age

HisoHiso

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
well my friend, we need to know what gpu it is first and foremost, you can check the bios for that

or, if the pc is a prebuilt, check your specs online

having fans is only one aspect of cooling, a gpu has some sort of paste between the fans and the actual "GPU" which is a chip and also cooling pads on the ram both of these may need replacement with age
VGA PCI X Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition 2G is its name and i have bought it 7 years ago

HisoHiso

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
From the first picture/image which you have posted, those artifacts, square boxes might indicate a faulty GPU. Most probably a VRAM corruption issue. But to fully rule this out, you need to check the card on some other PC as well.

List your FULL PC specs. Does your Motherboard support onboard/integrated Graphics ?
i have given the name of the gpu above, other items that may be useful, all of which i have also bought 7 years ago, are:
HDD Toshiba SATA III 500GB 32MB 7200
MB Gigabyte 970A-D3(sAM3+/DDR3/970)
CPU AMD Phenom II x4 965(AM3/3,4GHz/8M

HisoHiso

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
also, in case it got damaged because of heat and the 3 fans werent enough, if there is a good way to lower the temperature of the pc in order to avoid future accidents let me know

i fear so
You can of course go on testing with different monitors etc, but the stripes kinda spell doom

if you feel up to it you can try to change the heatpaste and see if the ram thermal pads are still good
(DON'T replace them with cooler paste)

But given the age of the gpu, i would say it's time for an upgrade
Which by the way will be massive if you go for a recent one, so enjoy

HisoHiso

Reputable
Jul 30, 2019
i fear so
You can of course go on testing with different monitors etc, but the stripes kinda spell doom

if you feel up to it you can try to change the heatpaste and see if the ram thermal pads are still good
(DON'T replace them with cooler paste)

But given the age of the gpu, i would say it's time for an upgrade
Which by the way will be massive if you go for a recent one, so enjoy
i see, thanks a lot for the help mate