Is the GTX 1070 worth it without 1440p?

I'd say get the 1070 and when you can upgrade to a decent 144hz 1440p. A friend of mine just brought a Titan X Pascal even though he only has 1, 1080p display. It'll run fine at 1080p for now. Another friend has a 980ti, 1080p monitor and an old AMD Phenom 1090t.

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

Any gaming monitor 144 reccomendations?

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

Sub 200

The monitor I linked above is a TN monitor.

TN (Twisted Nematic) is the most common technology. The main advantage is that it provides the shortest response times, making them good for gaming. In combination with LED back-lighting, TN monitors also offer high brightness and draw less power than competing technologies. Another important factor is that they are cheap to manufacture, resulting in low prices for end users.
The main advantages with IPS monitors is that the technology offer noticeably better color reproduction as well as much better viewing angles. The downside used to be a difficulty to emphasize blacks, which in turn meant problems with the contrast.

IPS panels also have slower response times, unless you're willing to pay a fortune for Super IPS (S-IPS). In my opinion, any input lag greater than 5ms is not a good gaming experience. Therefore, a good IPS gaming panel is out of your price range.

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

Thankyou, I have been confused about that for a while.

The monitor even has GSync? Thats perfect. Whats the difference bewteen high HZ and Gsync?
UPDATE: apparently it does not have Gsyn?
Also HDMI ports cant go above 60hz?

Does not have GSync.

Before I can explain what GSync is, I need to make sure that you understand what VSync is. VSync will make sure that the framerete being output by the graphics card does not exceed the display rate of the monitor. If the monitor's display rate (Hz) is out of sync with the output of the graphics card, the result is screen tearing. VSync prevents this by making sure that the output rate of the graphics card does not exceed the maximum display rate of the screen.

What GSync does is it adapts the display rate of the screen to match the output rate of the graphics card. However, if the output rate of the graphics card is higher than the screen's maximum display rate, then it will slow down the card's output rate. Basically, if the card is outputting faster than the screen, it acts as VSync. But if the display rate of the graphics card is less than that of the maximum display rate of the screen, it does the opposite of VSync and slows down the screen's display rate to match the graphics card's output rate... This dramatically reduces frame stutter.

I just don't think it's worth it at the <$200 price range. You see, in order to put GSync in a monitor, the manufacturer has to pay Nvidia for a license to use a little module in the screen. This drives up the price of the monitor. If you were to put GSync in a monitor and keep it under $200, it would mean making compromises somewhere else in order to keep the price down. That's why I don't recommend GSync monitors under $300.

Please note that one Hz is on cycle per second. A screen displays one frame per cycle, so one Hz is effectively one frame per second.

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

Okay, if it does not have Vsync wont that be an issue for me? I am running a 1070.
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZBZ2FT/aoc-monitor-g2460pf
this monitor seems very good, albeit out of my price range.
Also is fullHD worth investing in?

All monitors are capable of Vsync.

Neither the monitor that I listed or the one you listed just now have GSync. The one you listed has FreeSync, which only works on AMD cards.

Also, if you're used to 1440p, then I wouldn't downgrade the resolution. Once you get used to a higher resolution, anything less isn't going to look as clear.

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

Ive never used 1440.
How about http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3gDwrH/aoc-monitor-g2460pqu

Crud I just realized
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128881&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
does my mobo not support 144hz? Im building my computer do I need to return this?

To get 60fps at very high-ultra settings at 1080p GTX1070 is worth it as GTX1060 cannot achieve that. If it is okay for you to play at medium to high settings to get 60fps or very high to ultra settings to get 50fps. Same goes for 1440p in that case GTX1070 will give 50fps avg whereas GTX1080 will give good 70fps.

It always depends on budget you are ready to spend. If you are able to get GTX1070 at 1080p it is good and not waste of money. But if you plan to upgrade to 1440p in near future and want to save money or have tight budget GTX1060 will be fine.