Is the GTX 1070 worth it??

jojtotanoj

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
I've got two computers in mind,
one that I found by my own and another my friend found.
The one I found has the specs:
Intel Core i5 7500 7:e gen.
16gb ram
gtx 1060 6gb
250gb ssd
1tb harddrive
dvd
this one costs 12000kr (1,437 USD)
website (in swedish, just klick "teknisk beskrivning" for info): http://www.arsadata.se/sv-se/product/speldator-pascal-ii-plus-intel-i5-6600-16gb-ram-gtx-1060-6gb-250gb-ssd-m2-1tb-h-rddisk-dvd-rww/

The other:
Intel Core i7-7700
8GB ram
512GB SSD M.2
GTX 1070 8GB
Win 10
This one costs 14000kr (1,677 USD)
website (also in swedish, scroll down to where it says "specifikationer" for info): https://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/datorer_och_tillbehor/261783-asus_g11cd-k-nr116t-i7-7700-8gb-512gb_ssd_m2-gtx_1070_8gb-win_10&atcl=search:result:2

What my friend and I are arguing about is whether the GTX 1070 is worth the extra money or not, he says if I want to run the latest games at highest setting with 60fps+ it is, and if not GTX 1060 works. Does it really matter that much? And if I want to play CSGO on highest setting (which is a game that required a lot of CPU) will I be able to do this with both? I also enjoy editing and recording, which is why the 16gb ram is quite neat, but I don't know how much it would matter.

Summary:
Should I buy the latter version which costs about $200 more and has 1070 or does it not matter that much and I can buy the former? I want to be able to play all the latest games and CSGO at full setting, but is it worth to spend more on 1070???
Sorry for being unclear.

Solution

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017
If your screen is 1440P then it is worth it Get only GTX 1070

if your screen is FHD , then GTX 1060 6GB is enough , but dont get the 3GB version it is slower.

IMO for future proof , get the GTX 1070 , you dont know when you will change your monitor for a better one.

First thing first. It's a prebuilt computer, and as always with these they tends to come with a cheap crap PSU.
Next thing, I would build the computer myself as you will simply get more for the money. Don't get me wrong, both of those systems will do fine in CS:GO but you could get a better performing Coffee Lake CPU and a quality PSU and maybe 16 GB RAM for the same money if you build it yourself.

With that said, you don't only pay 2000Kr more for the GPU, but also for a stronger CPU and M.2 SSD, but you only get 8 GB RAM.

jojtotanoj

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017

I dont want to build it myself, first because I wont have any warranty, which means if I mess up it's screwed. I know friend who shortcut the motherboard and had to buy a new one. I've only once changed graphics card and it's complicated, without pro help I don't dare to try my luck... How much does the PSU matter? Is it the power source? Sorry, am new. On the computer I have now I've got a GTX 750 Ti and i7-3770 with 3.4GHZ and it cant really play the latest games with full which is getting annoying. Am unsure but I guess I'll buy the latter once because of the graphics card and CPU

It matters to the point that if it fails, then a good quality unit will just dye silently and can be replaced and you are up and running again, while the cheap low quality PSU may very well fry your whole system or in case of a very cheap unit also start a fire.
Question is, would you trust your new 14000Kr system with a 200Kr PSU or with a 700Kr PSU?

Solution

jojtotanoj

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017

But I don't know whether this 14000kr system has a shitty PSU or not, how would I go about to find this out?

You can be sure that if it had a high quality PSU, they would tell about it. The fact that they don't mention it at all, we can only assume it's because it's a crap unit.