[SOLVED] Is the gtx 1080ti worth getting for £300 ?

OrdJk

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
I was looking on ebay and the price of the card has lowered even more due to the RTX 30 series coming out , and I saw the fps it gets.

To me it seems like a pretty good card for a system even in 2020.

I'm not interested in RTX - ray tracing / dlss stuff so that's why I'm intrigued by it

Solution
It really depends on what your use case is, resolution, type of games, etc., however, paying 300 dollars for a card that has performance similar to a GTX 2070 Super without the ray tracing, but has already lived out three years of it's average five year lifespan, seems like a waste of money to me. You pay 300 dollars, you get 500-ish card performance, while it lasts, IF nothing is wrong with the card, and in my experiences when somebody is selling what was a flagship card two generations ago, then it's a roll of the dice as to whether that card was overclocked/abused or simply has something wrong with it. Plus, you get NO warranty, of any kind, at all, unless it is an EVGA card that somebody PAID to put the 3rd party seller warranty on...
It really depends on what your use case is, resolution, type of games, etc., however, paying 300 dollars for a card that has performance similar to a GTX 2070 Super without the ray tracing, but has already lived out three years of it's average five year lifespan, seems like a waste of money to me. You pay 300 dollars, you get 500-ish card performance, while it lasts, IF nothing is wrong with the card, and in my experiences when somebody is selling what was a flagship card two generations ago, then it's a roll of the dice as to whether that card was overclocked/abused or simply has something wrong with it. Plus, you get NO warranty, of any kind, at all, unless it is an EVGA card that somebody PAID to put the 3rd party seller warranty on OR is willing to give you all the original purchaser information for INCLUDING access to the email address it was registered to in the even something happens and it needs to be replaced.

And all of that is assuming it isn't already out of warranty, which for most cards it would be. If it's an EVGA card and somebody bought the extended warranty or bought it late in the cycle before Turing was released, then it might still have a LITTLE remaining time on the warranty but it certainly seems like an expensive risk to me that you'd be much better off putting towards an upcoming RTX 3060 Super which will probably cost somewhere around 400 bucks but have probably BETTER performance than that card has if current trends hold up. Even if you end up with a card that has similar or slightly less performance, it would be worth it for the warranty alone. Don't ever spend big dollars on high risk parts like a graphics card or motherboard without getting a manufacturer warranty.

Solution