[SOLVED] Is the "HXi" Variant of Corsair HX Series Worth the Premium?

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
The price difference here is around $40, as far as I know the hardware is almost identical on both variants. So the question is if the ability to regulate the fan speed and monitor performance makes up for it in the long run?

Solution
No, not really. Honestly it's just kind of gimmicky like all such additions, but some people like it. In truth the HX units are already really excellent and unless you really feel like being able to control the fan speed is worth 40 bucks, and if we're being honest changing the fan speed from what the Corsair engineers already determine it ought to be running at for any given thermal condition is a bad idea anyhow, then I guess that's your call.

As to being able to "monitor" it, you can already do that to some degree with any power supply by simply installing HWinfo, choosing Sensors only and disabling Summary, and then scrolling down to the system voltages which will be reported same as they will on the HXi, for any PSU model really...
No, not really. Honestly it's just kind of gimmicky like all such additions, but some people like it. In truth the HX units are already really excellent and unless you really feel like being able to control the fan speed is worth 40 bucks, and if we're being honest changing the fan speed from what the Corsair engineers already determine it ought to be running at for any given thermal condition is a bad idea anyhow, then I guess that's your call.

As to being able to "monitor" it, you can already do that to some degree with any power supply by simply installing HWinfo, choosing Sensors only and disabling Summary, and then scrolling down to the system voltages which will be reported same as they will on the HXi, for any PSU model really.

I don't see any reason to seriously need or want those features but then again, I'm not everybody. The regular HX is a great unit. Put the forty bucks somewhere else in the build if you really want to spend it. Get some good case fans or whatever.

Solution

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022

As to being able to "monitor" it, you can already do that to some degree with any power supply by simply installing HWinfo, choosing Sensors only and disabling Summary, and then scrolling down to the system voltages which will be reported same as they will on the HXi, for any PSU model really.

I don't see any reason to seriously need or want those features but then again, I'm not everybody. The regular HX is a great unit. Put the forty bucks somewhere else in the build if you really want to spend it. Get some good case fans or whatever.
Good stuff, thanks!