is the i5 4690K a mid range CPU?

Solution
All the desktop i5s that you see today have 4 cores and 4 threads, which is decidedly midrange for workstation tasks. Older i7s are still capable, though something like the i7 920 would be midrange at best these days due to being only about half as fast as an i7 6700 due to a much slower architecture and much lower clockspeed.
For gaming, the i5s are more in the higher end, if only because a lot of games aren't scaling that well across large numbers of cores, and something in the 4 core/4 thread or 4 core/ 8 thread range is about the sweet spot in terms of performance vs. money spent. Higher core count CPUs like the R7 1700/1700x/1800x or the Core i7 6900k would be considered high end CPUs for workstation use, but the extra cores don't really offer anything in terms of gaming performance, so if gaming is all you care about, it's not really worth spending the extra money for those high end CPUs. For workstation tasks that do scale across lots of cores, the i5 4690k would be considered midrange.

MaxTehLegend

Honorable
Nov 20, 2015

does this mean all i5 processors are mid range for workstation tasks? and does that mean that the older i7's are considered "high end" because of the amount of threads?

All the desktop i5s that you see today have 4 cores and 4 threads, which is decidedly midrange for workstation tasks. Older i7s are still capable, though something like the i7 920 would be midrange at best these days due to being only about half as fast as an i7 6700 due to a much slower architecture and much lower clockspeed.

Solution