Question Is the i5-6500 able to run Windows 11 ?

Kristomani

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
My son got a MSI b250 Krait Gaming, supposed to be supported by Win11, but as far as I can se, there is no CPU for that MB that is supported by win11.
So I recon the info about b250 at microsoft is wrong?
He got a I5-6500 now and that is the only unsupported hardware.

I'm thinking of install win11 bypassing and regedit because:
We want to put a m.2 nvme in it and "move" operating system over to that, just to boost things up a little.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but IS that easier with win11 and keep all installations, apps, files etc?
Anyone tried to install win11 with the i5-6500? Cons/pros?

Please advice

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Seems to be MSI being sloppy. As they say elsewhere, it's a list of motherboards that support TPM 2.0 not a list of motherboards that actually support Windows 11.

https://www.msi.com/blog/How-to-Enable-TPM-on-MSI-Motherboards-Featuring-TPM-2-0

MSI Motherboards with TPM 2.0 Support
Here is a complete list of all MSI motherboards with TPM 2.0 support. Please note that this is not a list of Windows 11 compatible motherboards but rather a list of motherboards in which their BIOS supports TPM 2.0.
*Complete list of TPM 2.0 ready motherboard (PDF)

Intel

*Visit Intel for more information about Intel PTT (Intel Platform Trust Technology) and TPM 2.0.
**Intel 6th/7th Gen and Core X-Series 9000/78xx processors are not on the list of Windows 11 compatible processors, as of 2021/07/01.

USAFRet

Titan
We want to put a m.2 nvme in it and "move" operating system over to that, just to boost things up a little.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but IS that easier with win11 and keep all installations, apps, files etc?
Cloning to a compatible drive is not easier in Win 11 vs Win 10.

Zero difference in the method.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Both drives must be the same partitioning scheme, either MBR or GPT
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung target SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, you may need to install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up

Verify the system boots with ONLY the current "C drive" connected.
If not, we have to fix that first.

Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

[Ignore this section if using the SDM. It does this automatically]
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specify the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
[/end ignore]

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD. This is not optional.
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

(swapping cables is irrelevant with NVMe drives, but DO disconnect the old drive for this next part)
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.