is the i5 7400 good for 1080p gaming and streaming?

cdgamerz

Reputable
Feb 7, 2017
first off, do not recommend RYZEN to me because i am not interested in AMD. i want to know if this CPU is good for streaming in 1080p60fps with 16GB RAM and a GTX 1070.

Solution
An i5-7400 will probably work reasonably well if you use a graphics card based encoder for your stream, like Shadowplay. You probably wouldn't want to run a software-based encoder on the CPU though, at least with many newer titles that can make heavy use of four cores.

cdgamerz

Reputable
Feb 7, 2017
how would this CPU handle streaming exactly though? i've seen it against an i3 8100 which is basically the same CPU just a different "i" series and they seem tied in most games. a lot of people say that the i3 8100 can stream. so why can't the i5 7400 stream games at 1080p60? there are videos on twitch that have the i5 7400 and a GTX 1060 or 1070 and it streams perfectly fine.

Do you already own a motherboard that's compatible with Intel's "7th gen" CPUs? If not, then there's no point in getting a 7400, when an 8400 costs about the same, while not only offering faster per-core performance, but also having 50% more cores. A quad-core processor is likely to see a substantial performance hit when streaming many games, which a six-core processor will be able to handle a lot better.

ikaz

Distinguished
The thing is you asked if that setup is "good" for streaming not if it could "work" you also didn't mention what games you trying to stream at 1080p@60, so the recommendation people are giving assuming your going to be running games that are able to use multi core CPU's which means less resources for other application running in the background. If you were to say on a car forum "I want to haul bricks in a Honda Civic" people would probably suggest using a truck instead even though you probably get 500 pound of bricks in a Civic if that was your only option with out much trouble. It just not the best option for the job your trying to do.

An i5-7400 will probably work reasonably well if you use a graphics card based encoder for your stream, like Shadowplay. You probably wouldn't want to run a software-based encoder on the CPU though, at least with many newer titles that can make heavy use of four cores.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS