Is the i7-4770 non k bottleneck to the gtx 1070?

Nonameman

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
I thought that my pc had a i7-4770k
For a long time but when i re checked it ended up being a i7-4770 non k and i have a gtx 1070 is it bottlenecking it? And if yes can i change the cpu?

Solution
As somebody who has a GTX 1080 ti and a Core i7 4770K I can say no you don't need to upgrade yet. Overclocking doesn't net you much extra gaming performance. I keep my 4770K at 4.0GHz. That's perfect for gaming. If you could bclk overclock to 4.0GHz you would see some gains. Not likely that you notice anything at 1440p but at 1080p you might notice a little difference in more cpu heavy games.
besides the 4770K that is the max CPU you could install on your motherboard. any other CPU you will end up having to replace the motherboard and ram. i wouldn't think it would bottleneck a 1070 though but i will leave someone more up on GPU's to answer that part. other then that if you motherboard has a Z series chip set then you could buy the K version and overclock it

There is only a 100mhz difference in the base clocks of the 4770 and the 4770k. So there will be no noticeable difference. If you overclocked the 4770k, you might see a 5% change when you play at 1080p. But if you are playing at 1440p or 4k then the GPU will be bottlenecked and not the CPU.

I would not make a change if I were you.

You could install a I7-4790K which runs stock at 4.0 compared to your current 3.4.
More if your motherboard allows overclocking.

As to how much your cpu is hurting your gaming
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer with many participants tend to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Nonameman

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
So i did 2 benchmarks
Shadow of mordor and bo3 (I don't want to do all the games that i have in my library)
And my benchmarks are actually good and sometimes even better than other peoples so i decided that I don't need to change anything. Thanks for helping me out guys.

As somebody who has a GTX 1080 ti and a Core i7 4770K I can say no you don't need to upgrade yet. Overclocking doesn't net you much extra gaming performance. I keep my 4770K at 4.0GHz. That's perfect for gaming. If you could bclk overclock to 4.0GHz you would see some gains. Not likely that you notice anything at 1440p but at 1080p you might notice a little difference in more cpu heavy games.

Solution