[SOLVED] Is the i7-4790k a good CPU?

Pcgolfer07

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
I'm using the i7 4790k with 8gb ddr3 ram.

Is it a good CPU for gaming and video editing? Should I upgrade the CPU too if I want ddr4 and why? Please help

Solution
It's good. Excellent in it's day but becoming a bit redundant now. But can still do plenty - so yeah, still good. But it's old in comparison to whats on the market now anbd it loses on the core/thread count now.

Should I upgrade the CPU too if I want ddr4 and why?
You'd need to upgrade everything for this pretty much. DDR4 would require a newer CPU and a new motherboard at least. Ultimately it's up to you, are you currently having a problem with it?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's good. Excellent in it's day but becoming a bit redundant now. But can still do plenty - so yeah, still good. But it's old in comparison to whats on the market now anbd it loses on the core/thread count now.

Should I upgrade the CPU too if I want ddr4 and why?
You'd need to upgrade everything for this pretty much. DDR4 would require a newer CPU and a new motherboard at least. Ultimately it's up to you, are you currently having a problem with it?

Last edited:
Solution

Pcgolfer07

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
It's good. Excellent in it's day but becoming a bit redundant not. But can still do a hell of a lot so yeah, still good. But it's old in comparison to whats no the market now.

Thx for your answer. No, there's no problem with it but I would like premier pro and after effects to work more faster so that's why I need to upgrade it. It's going to cost me so much