[SOLVED] is the i7 7700k still a good Gaming cpu?

tlavanway3

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
i have a 7700k and everybody tells me that 4 core cpus are becoming out dated but when they talk about 4 cores they are talking about i5's not i7's so im confused. the i7 is still a 4 core.

Reactions: Guest610077
Solution
Considering that an 8th or 9th gen i5 tends to outperform them, yes, they are dated. The performance is not cutting edge. They are still fine though so long as it is still doing what you need it to do. If it is not, then it is time to consider a full platform upgrade because there is no where you go from where you are on your current platform.

The single core performance is still almost exactly the same as on current generation CPUs and is BETTER than the single core performance of Ryzen 3000 series models, so if you are playing games that use only a few cores/threads, you should still be fine. If you are playing games that are intentionally optimized for highly threaded performance by design, then something with more of that...
Considering that an 8th or 9th gen i5 tends to outperform them, yes, they are dated. The performance is not cutting edge. They are still fine though so long as it is still doing what you need it to do. If it is not, then it is time to consider a full platform upgrade because there is no where you go from where you are on your current platform.

The single core performance is still almost exactly the same as on current generation CPUs and is BETTER than the single core performance of Ryzen 3000 series models, so if you are playing games that use only a few cores/threads, you should still be fine. If you are playing games that are intentionally optimized for highly threaded performance by design, then something with more of that capability might benefit you and FOR SURE if you are doing any heavy multitasking, such as recording, browsing with many tabs, encoding, etc., WHILE you are gaming, you would defiitely benefit from a CPU with more cores and threads even if it has the same single core performance as your current model. That would mean a full platform upgrade though as your current board and CPU are not compatible with 8th and 9th gen models and obviously not compatible with anything on the AMD side of things, other than your memory.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...5-9600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X/2874vs3337vs3485

Solution
A higher resolution has no bearing on how well the CPU can "game", except that in most cases it actually lightens the load on the CPU when you move to a higher resolution using the same graphics card because it takes the GPU longer to do it's thing. Same goes for settings. If you are playing at Ultra settings there will be less load on the CPU than if you were playing at low settings. At low settings or low resolutions the GPU is able to easily and quickly complete it's tasks and that puts a lot of demand on the CPU to get it's job done.

Conversely, with high resolutions or higher settings it takes the GPU longer so the CPU has more "free" time.

It is "relevant" for as long as it does what you need it to do. If it games fine at the resolution and settings you prefer to game at OR at some combination that you are willing to settle for, then it is doing it's job. When it begins to not be able to do that, that's when it loses relevance or becomes a choke point for the rest of the system and you need to start considering options.

There are people still using 3rd gen i7's like the 3770k, with very high end graphics cards like the 2080 ti, because it is still able to provide enough FPS for their needs. If they move up to a 144hz display then that might change and then they'd need to look at other options. It all depends on YOU and what YOU require the hardware to do. If it does that, then there is no point in even having the conversation. If it does not, then it's a problem.

i have a 7700k and everybody tells me that 4 core cpus are becoming out dated but when they talk about 4 cores they are talking about i5's not i7's so im confused. the i7 is still a 4 core.

If you look at the various CPU gaming comparisons (no streaming!) where modern CPUs are pitted against the 7600K/7700K, you will see the 7700K still doing 'ok' in my opinion, whereas the quad-thread 7600K often takes a beating in minimum FPS.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz-bHNkwHgI

If you go to 08:16 in the video for Battlefield 5 comparisons, I'd say the 7700K still holds it's own, and this game illustrates just how poorly a 4t CPU does in minimum FPS compared to a 6 core or even 4c/8t CPU....

Reactions: Phaaze88
Yes, it is. He knows that. He is agreeing with what I already said, which is that it still does ok, and if it is still giving you enough performance then it doesn't matter WHAT anybody ELSE might think. It's not a matter of "does my CPU rank high enough against these CPUs", it is a matter of "does my CPU still give me enough FPS in the games that I play"? That is the ONLY thing that matters. Nothing else is important.