Question Is the I9 11900k really that bad?

Sep 29, 2022
I'm currently running an AMD 1600x, its been a fantastic CPU but I just got an offer for a new 11900k for $275 and considering it was at one time a "flagship" CPU its tempting me.

My questions are:

I have a RTX 2080ti and a 650 watt platinum Seasonic PSU, would I need more juice with the I9?

Is a 360mm Corsair AIO a good enough cooling solution? Lots of people say it runs super hot.

And since I'm roaring to build now and don't feel like waiting is that a good price?

Thanks to anyone who replies!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The 11900K (at least prior to the new releases) was still among the top 20 fastest CPU on the market. It is essentially a binned i7 that will for sure hit over 5GHz. It has options to unlock power draw and so forth that IMO have not been worth the added heat production in my use case. I am using one with a 240 AIO, so your 360 should do fine. You will want a Z series motherboard with robust VRM and a case with good air flow. I think the biggest complaint against it is the lack of cores/threads in comparison to the 10th gen i9.

I was able to pick mine up through MicroCenter at a starting price of $250-ish, but had a promotion/coupon that brought mine down a bit from that. I see mine running at anywhere from 4.8-5.3 on game loads based on how many cores it is using. With the "stock" power parameters set on the Z590i it is paired with I generally have idle temps just around the low 30's and in game or on load temps into the low 70's. When I go with the unlocked 250+W power parameter I cannot keep the CPU cool enough in my current configuration. I will say though that turning that on bumps perf quite a bit more even than the stock clocks.

In my own case I had purchased the 11600K at release and where it was a decent performer, just didn't have enough cores/threads or speed to utilize the way I wanted for my main gaming rig. I already had all the other components. Picking it up for cheap to update that system made sense at the time, for the price. Personally, in spite of owning one, I wouldn't recommend it over some of the newer options unless it was at an incredible price. The aforementioned Micro Center was recently doing what was a well received deal along with a mobo for about what you mention price wise.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The i9-11900K was just an awkward sell. It was generally outperformed by the previous generation 10 core i9-10850k/10900/10900K since they had a little more cache and 2 additional cores, so gaming performance was similar, and the generational gains of 15% ish percent didn't beat an additional 25% cores. Basically, made the i7-11700K the better choice all around since it was cheaper than the i9s of both generations and performed similarly with a light overclock.

11900k is retailing for $290 right now, so not much of a deal. Launched at $550.

Now, I would just get an i7-12700F at $315 (8P cores 4E cores)

13600K is also an option at $320 when it launches. That is 6P cores and 8E cores.

Either would get you on the LGA1700 socket and the potential for DDR5 if you choose a DDR5 motherboard. Likely the last of the LGA1700 CPUs.

Of course there is also Ryzen 7000 on a shiny new AM5 socket with DDR5 only. A $300 Ryzen 7600X is a bit of a pricing nightmare (expensive motherboards), but you will be able to upgrade the CPU later on to whatever AMD launches for AM5. They claim they are going to support the socket at least through 2025.

Last edited: