Is the Kingston HyperX anniversary 8gb ram compatible with AMD motherboards?

trongamer2

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
Is the Kingston HyperX anniversary 8gb ram compatible with AMD motherboards?

I am going for a blue and silver theme and this memory works well with my computer, pcparts.com sees no issues with compatability but yet I see no examples of amd rigs using it and every youtuber who has it uses an itel motehrboard to reffernce it. On top of that Kingston just got back to me and literally avoided the question and told me use their compatibility checker on their site.

please help.

Solution
Hello, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer some clarification. The Limited Edition Anniversary memory is compatible with both Intel and AMD chipsets. What makes them Limited Edition is the look of the heat sink on the memory module. As long as the specifications match what is required for the system the memory will work properly as is the case here. The only thing that will not work is the XMP profile as that is Intel specific. Although, newer AMD chipsets have "AMP" which is their equivalent to XMP and the XMP profile will be available as such. Otherwise the timings will have to be manually set in the BIOS. For any further questions or concerns, please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F...
From the Asus website:

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 MHz ECC, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
* Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
* Due to OS limitation, when installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Install a 64-bit Windows® OS when you want to install 4GB or more memory on the motherboard.
* AMD FX Series CPU on this motherboard supports up to DDR3 1866MHz as its standard memory frequency.
* AMD AM3 100 and 200 series CPU support up to DDR3 1066MHz.

trongamer2

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014

I totally get that but this specific memory is very unique its XMP and its a limted edition annivesary, I've yet to see anyone use it on an AMD rig which is making me very aprehensive about buying it. I really want it but I dont want to be in a situation where its not compatible but at the same time, this store in the uk is the only store that currently has some left.

kingstonhq

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Hello, I'm Jewel with Kingston Technical Support and would like to offer some clarification. The Limited Edition Anniversary memory is compatible with both Intel and AMD chipsets. What makes them Limited Edition is the look of the heat sink on the memory module. As long as the specifications match what is required for the system the memory will work properly as is the case here. The only thing that will not work is the XMP profile as that is Intel specific. Although, newer AMD chipsets have "AMP" which is their equivalent to XMP and the XMP profile will be available as such. Otherwise the timings will have to be manually set in the BIOS. For any further questions or concerns, please call us at 1-800-435-0640 (USA and Canada only) M - F 6am - 6pm PT and I or another available Technician will assist you.

Thank you for selecting Kingston as your upgrade partner.

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
And just for clarification, just because DRAM is DDR3 does not mean it will work with any old mobo that runs DDR3, most all newer DRAM uses 4Gb memory chips which are not compatible with older chipsets, there is the DRAM like the Fury line that runs based on PnP, and again many older mobo chipsets don't support it - in short Trongamer here is very smart to look into compatibility

TRENDING THREADS