[SOLVED] Is the majority of my VRAM wasted? Is there a way to leverage more?

drewski989

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016
I have an EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Elite, which has 11GB of VRAM. This is great, but...

I have never ever seen a game that makes use of more than ~4-5GB of VRAM. I always try to play as close to max settings and I have a 3440x1440 monitor. I think Shadow of War might have used close to 6, but that's barely half.

How do I make use of this wasted VRAM without inadvertently affecting FPS/stability? Can I bump the resolution scale in games?

Its like having a 10lb bag that only holds 5lbs of stuff...

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Higher res monitor, and/or increased quality texture packs. BUT, there comes to a point at which if you increase resolution to increase your vram usage, your gpu will not render the frames fast enough and get lower FPS regardless of VRAM usage

But your looking at this all wrong... they give you so much RAM on a high end GPU so that you can't possibly run out, not so that you can use it all......It is not something to worry about or to try to purposely fill up.

Think of it like buying a truck with a big engine to tow a large load, you don't want to push it to its limits all the time, most of the time your towing a moderate load, but if you have to tow a larger load one day, you know you have enough reserves.

drewski989

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016
Why do you want to use more of the VRAM? The card will only use what it needs for the game and the settings used. The rest isn't really going to waste, unless you over bought for your size display.
Its not that I want to use more, its just that I have 11GB, why not find a way to put it to good use? I am trying to find a good analogy, but basically I want that VRAM doing something for me, besides just sitting there. Thus the question.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Its not that I want to use more, its just that I have 11GB, why not find a way to put it to good use? I am trying to find a good analogy, but basically I want that VRAM doing something for me, besides just sitting there. Thus the question.
You would have to use a higher rez display (or more of them) that would require more pixels to be rendered. Or mods that increase the texels rendered (textures).

Reactions: drewski989
Higher res monitor, and/or increased quality texture packs. BUT, there comes to a point at which if you increase resolution to increase your vram usage, your gpu will not render the frames fast enough and get lower FPS regardless of VRAM usage

But your looking at this all wrong... they give you so much RAM on a high end GPU so that you can't possibly run out, not so that you can use it all......It is not something to worry about or to try to purposely fill up.

Think of it like buying a truck with a big engine to tow a large load, you don't want to push it to its limits all the time, most of the time your towing a moderate load, but if you have to tow a larger load one day, you know you have enough reserves.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Solution