Okay, so i have a 6 year old PC, here are the specs:
i7 4770k
240 gigs kingston ssd
1tb caviar black wd hdd
750 gold psu
Asus z87 plus
Radeon r9 280x
two sticks of 4 gigs kingston hyperX DDR3 2400hz
(and from today, one stick non-kingston 8 gigs 1600hz)
I've been having some difficulties for 3 years almost, randomly, actually almost annually my pc becomes a complete mess, sometimes it will completely freeze the screen, the keyboard, the sound, the mouse, everything, sometimes, piece by piece things will slowly die out, first for example the youtube video, then the tab, then chrome, then the desktop, then everything again, and upon reboot, either i will be met with my pc trying to start up for a few seconds, only fans, then shuts down and does it in a loop, or i will be met with my bios not recognizing my ssd untill I literally power off completely, unsocket the sata of the ssd, and socket it again, sometimes changing the port, multiple times untill my pc finally can see the ssd. In the first case of the pc shutting off and on, all i needed to do was power it off, unplug the ram and plug it back in, one or two tries would solve that issue, also sometimes, after finally booting up, from the loop, it would not recognize the ssd. In the last 3 to 4 years i have changed 3 ssds that seemed to die out, today the pc just decided to start its annual malfunctioning, but heavily. i went out and bought the 8 gigs of ram i mentioned at te beginning, plugged them in my pc, and took of the two 4 gigs of ram and put them in a fully functional other computer for testing, they worked just fine on the other computer, while i had the same difficulties on my computer, even a few more since i got a few blue screens that lead to either bad memory, bad pages or drivers. i have everything updated except the bios which i cannot update for some reason. after trying out everything, my pc finally recognized the ssd this time, but went to the SMART page telling me that its quickly dying and i should make a backup, if i continued after this message i would be greeted either with disk read error, restart, or inacessible boot bsod for the ssd. I took out the ssd and tested it out on my laptop, ran the health test from kingston, everything checks out as healthy, everything was a 100 except external wear which was still green but an 88. All of this leads me to believe that it might be the motherboard, already checked for blown capacitors but cant see any. i ran the tests, memory checked and everything, no faults, except when i try and put it in my pc. sometimes it will let me use my pc for a few minutes before freezing or sending me into a bsod with bad paging, bad memory related codes. Is it the motherboards fault?

Edit 1: what leads me to thinking that its the motherboard is that the processor and graphics card are doing just fine, even on other pcs, i tested my initial ram on another pc for a day and it ran smoothly, and the ssd checks out as healthy on the laptop.

Solution
Yeah sounds like a bad board. Especially if you've run tests on all the other components and found no fault. However as for your RAM update, I would not pair two different RAM speeds together, it will lower the higher speed RAM to the lower speed one, and can cause BSOD's/instability. Make sure your RAM is all the same in every aspect to ensure best stabilty.
Yeah sounds like a bad board. Especially if you've run tests on all the other components and found no fault. However as for your RAM update, I would not pair two different RAM speeds together, it will lower the higher speed RAM to the lower speed one, and can cause BSOD's/instability. Make sure your RAM is all the same in every aspect to ensure best stabilty.

Solution
Mar 19, 2020
so you think that the ssd should be fine? and also i am aware that it lowered my 2400hz sticks to 1600, i am okay with loosing a bit of speed to get to 16 gigs. since that 8gb 1600 stick was the only existing ddr3 on the market in this country, do you think/know if the instability can be managed and bsod avoided for that particular thing?

so you think that the ssd should be fine? and also i am aware that it lowered my 2400hz sticks to 1600, i am okay with loosing a bit of speed to get to 16 gigs. since that 8gb 1600 stick was the only existing ddr3 on the market in this country, do you think/know if the instability can be managed and bsod avoided for that particular thing?

Only way to avoid instabilty would be to get rid of the other ram stick, but then again it's not certain yet that the RAM will cause any BSOD's all you cna do is wait and see, or run MEMTEST64 to find out.

Anywho, you said you tested the SSD and it was fine and that the motherboard was sometimes not detecting it. So this does sound like a mobo issue. Which would make sense given the age of the board.

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Although you can test DIMM slots and modules 1 stick in the board at a time I don't think running 3 sticks instead of either 2 or 4 is advised by RAM/MB manufactures.
What Country are you in?

Last edited: