Question Is the motherboard or CPU bad?

Wormman12

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
So a while ago, I had a problem with my DIY desktop keep on resetting while playing certain games. Then, two weeks ago it stopped displaying images all together. My PSU (corsair AX860i) powered everything and my external and internal hardware lit up....but the fans for my Radeon Spphire Nitro R9 390X 8G didn't run.

My friend who runs his own computer company took a look at it, and found out that my motherboard (an MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon) did not display anything when my HDMI was plugged directly into the board. So I got a renewed version of both the board and my PSU.

When the parts arrived, we tried again, and again the renewed motherboard did not display anything on the monitor. Finally, he deduced that my AMD Ryzen 7 1700X might have burned out. So, I bought a Ryzen 7 2700 and had it shipped to his place. When he installed it, the screen was still blank.

He tested the new PSU and put in a brand new pair of 8gb 3000Hz Corsair Vengence RAM in. He even tried to power up the computer without the RAM to see if an error shows up on the screen, but nothing. We have tested the HDD and the monitor as well as the HDMI cord and they work as well. The main problem is that nothing is showing up on the screens. Is the renewed motherboard a dud, or is the CPU? We don't know how to test either and we ran out of ideas

Last edited:

Wormman12

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
AMD X370 chipset motherboard probably need a BIOS update with a processor that work with an early BIOS version. The 1700X needs at least 7A32v10.zip while the 2700 needs 7A32v1F.zip.
My friend is unable to update the BIOS because the motherboards won't turn on. We tried installing the replacement board with the old CPU first, but nothing came in the screen. The same issue with the new CPU. Nothing is being displayed on any monitor for us to work with. And this is the exact same model as my old motherboard and the BIOS worked for my old CPU then.