Is the MSI R9 270x 4gb Gaming card compatible with M5A97 LE R2.0

Hx02

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Hello! I am new to building pc's and the last thing I needed to complete my build was the graphics card (as noted above). But when I plugged it in with my Monitor, I only ended up with a blank monitor screen and a beep code with 1 long beep and 3 short beeps. I looked up what the beeps meant, I read over my Users manual (countless times), and so I thought maybe the Graphics card was not placed in its slot properly, I checked and it was still sturdy. My next thought was maybe the Ram on the card was bad, I don't really know if that's the case because my last thought was (and I was hoping it would never be this case)" What if the Motherboard is not compatible with this graphics card?" so... I wanted to ask you guys on wether or not the M5A97 LE R2.0 was compatible with the R9 270x 4gb graphics card from MSI... Is it?

Remixex

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Yes, the GPU is PCIe 3.0, the motherboard has a PCIe 2.0, it has backward compatibility, and there is practically no difference between 3.0 and 2.0, the gpu however, might be faulty, can you unplug the GPU, and plug your monitor to the VGA port in the motherboard? if you get ANY display then the GPU is faulty, also did you connect the power cables to the GPU? or does it not have any? (i've heard most powerful gpus have these pins)

Hx02

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Well, here's the problem, my PC doesn't actually come with a VGA port on the back, it actually requires a Graphics card of some sort, also, yes there is 6-pin connectors on the card itself, but it makes no difference, I still end up with a blank screen and a beep code.

Remixex

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
ahh these PCs these days...motherboards are so cool they don't waste time with integrated graphics XD, well i'm assuming you don't have another GPU to test your PC, so it can be several stuff, PSU and CPU probably are not because you're hearing your PC booting (right?) i also assume RAM is properly connected and to be honest those are pretty tough to hits, so i'm in for faulty motherboard or, most probably, faulty GPU (i also assume you tested different cables and that your monitor has also been tested) so you either have to test the GPU on another system, or test another GPU in your system, without display there's not much i can guess on my side, i'm sorry :c

Hx02

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Sadly nothing is booting. :c But I have seen the inside of the rig while I'm trying to make it run. so far, I see that the PSU will be on for a few seconds, but the fan would die down after those few seconds. Also when I ran the pc first time, the fans of the GPU seemed to work, but after the second and third try, they quit working. I don't think its the motherboard because I do hear my fans on the case working.