Is the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Worth the upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Earlier this morning Nvidia finally unveiled the long rumored GTX 1070 Ti. The newest card to join the Pascal family is based on the same GP104 GPU as it's siblings, the GTX 1080 and the GTX 1070. Judging from the specifications , the GTX 1070 Ti sits right in between a 1070 and a 1080 performance-wise.

It's been quite some time since Nvidia released a 3 card stack of similar performing card. To find a similar situation, we'd have to go way back to the 560 Ti (my workhorse until I made the leap to a 1060 earlier this year).

Apart from wondering, "why now?" I'm also curious: should I upgrade? Is it worth it? What if I have a 1070? Selling either a 1070 or 1060 in the aftermarket would put a serious dent in the $450 MSRP attacched to the 1070 Ti. Could make for a might attractive upgrade at the right price. What do you think?

I think the deciding factor here is how much it will *actually* be selling at from the AIB partners from places like NewEgg. If they are selling for $500+ where an AIB GTX 1080 like this one can be found for $540 (after $20 MIR), then I'd rather move with the faster (on paper) 1080.

I think it will all boil down to real world price and availability - specifically if the miners start snapping them up. One thing to keep in mind is that consumer Volta is coming out next year, so this GPU may wind up being a repeat of the 780Ti that was released about this time in 2013. People paid $700+ for them only to watch it get beaten by a $550 GTX 980 eight months later. Of course if you need to upgrade now and can't wait for Q2/Q3 next year, then waiting for Volta is a moot point.

samer.forums

Notable
BANNED
Sep 30, 2017

GTX 1080 for FHD is and overkill ... and it can play 4K if you lower the details a bit , but I doubt that GTX 1070 ti can do any good in 4k.

1440P , I agree but not the Wide screens , the normal ones.

Most certainly with a 60Hz one, but not for a 144Hz 1080p G-sync though like I said. It's right in the sweet spot for maxing that Hz-to-FPS ratio in most games like BF1 and Hitman:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_1080_aorus_11_gbps_review,17.html

But circling back to the heart of the question is where this GPU will sit in price/performance between the 1070 and 1080. Assuming it's exactly mid way between the two in performance, but closer to the 1080 in real world selling price (20% more for 10% more performance), it's not going to be worth it. On the other hand, if it stays closer to the 1070 in real world price (10% more while being 10% faster), those looking to upgrade may consider it as a realistic option sandwiched between the two GPUs.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

Not really for a 1070. The base 1070 is only 1 tier below the 1080 (which is currently ranked 1st-tier along with the 1080TI). With the OEM 1070s locked in at the same clocks as nVidia's Founders Editions, & the (most likely true) rumors that they won't allow any after-market overclocking, & the apparent plan for it to slot in between the 1070 & 1080 for performance, I strongly suspect that it'll also end up a 2nd-tier GPU. Replacing a 2nd-tier GPU with another 2nd-tier GPU doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Even upgrading to a 1080 or 1080TI wouldn't make a lot of sense, unless the upgrade also included getting a monitor with a higher resolution and/or higher refresh rate.

Also doesn't make as much sense for a 1060. True, you'd be getting a 2-tier upgrade for your troubles, but (again) unless you're pairing it with a monitor upgrade you're not going to get much benefit from it. You might see benefit if you were going to replace a 1050 or 1050TI, as you'd be looking at a bigger upgrade -- although, to be honest, I strongly suspect that 99% of those that selected the 1050/1050Ti did so because their particular setup meant they could "settle" for a lower-tier GPU in the first place: not playing demanding games, limited by an older/slower CPU, limited by their PSU (i.e. OEM-based build), monitor limitations (i.e. playing under 1080p resolutions, especially with a 60-75Hz refresh rate), etc. Again, a 1070TI would be a nice upgrade, provided the rest of their rig can handle the performance boost...otherwise it's just wasted money.

I saw a tear down video, it looks weak to me.

Only 8,000 GBPS GDDR5 memory etc, not GDDR5X 10,000 or 11,000.......

And no OC editions of the cards.... Not a good sign.

A GTX 1080 is a better option.

Honestly, I don't think there is a good place for the 1070 ti. In my mind, if you're going to spend that kind of money on a GPU, you may as well spend a little extra and get a 1080, or spend a little less and get a 1070. Additionally, the 1070 and the 1080 both have a fairly clear place in terms of performance, I don't see that with the 1070 ti.

In my mind, 1070 = 1080p 144hz on high settings, or 1440p 60hz on high settings, whereas the 1080 is 1080p 144hz ultra (in some titles) and much better 1440p performance as well. I just don't see a whole lot of middle ground between those two. IMO, they would have been better off with either something in between the 1060/1070, or nothing at all. I personally think this is primarily a way for them to rake it a little more money over the holidays before they pump out the new 20xx series or whatever is next.

Then again, that's all primarily opinionated arguments on my part. Maybe someone out there is looking for that perfect middle ground pricewise/performancewise between the 1070 and the 1080. Who knows.

Well maybe, especially after seeing EVGA's price release info on their four variants. Their FTW2 gaming variant for $500 vs. the $550 GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming which runs 10% faster out of the box than a reference 1080 (and can be overclocked at least another 5% on top of that without even breaking a sweat based upon my 1080Ti SC2 Gaming). What will make the difference is if the FTW2 1070Ti will be able to overclock to match a reference 1080. That *might* make it worth it.

Still a very LONG way to go to the GTX 1080.

8,000 GDDR5 memory compared to 11,000 memory GDDR5X.

And then the rest.

The GTX 1080 is not an 11 gig card, it's an 8.

EDIT: And on paper, the two cards really aren't that far apart. I'm still holding out for some real world benchmarks for the 1070 ti before I make any judgement calls on it.

I have a GTX 1080 and it's 11 GBS memory.

Well games aren't even using 8GB VRAM except in extreme 4K conditions, and considering this isn't a card for 4K, I wouldn't even consider that an option. Otherwise same ROPs, 95% of the CUDA cores and texture units as the 1080? That doesn't sound like something to scoff at.

I just don't think it's going to do as well as some think....

Compared to the GTX 1080.

My bad, I only saw your more recent comment that didn't specify GBPS, and thought you were talking capacity, not speed. Yeah, the speed difference seems like it'll be a challenging difference between the 1070 ti and the 1080.

Yeah. LOL

Don't see how it would even come close personally.

And with the massive OCing headroom on some of the GTX 1080's... ROFL

I can push mine to:

2113 GPU and 5940 Memory (No voltage adjustment)

Well we are certainly going to find out any day now as all major hardware sites have their reviews in and are just sitting in the NDA jail waiting for release of their reviews.

Jul 26, 2018
So I've recently bought a GTX 1070 Ti and its a great card. I would recommend it and I can run any game with great FPS so far.

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx1070tiseries/

Status
Not open for further replies.