Is the Nzxt Karken x52 compatible with the corsair sp120 rgb led?

Zunny Flipflopss

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
Hello,
I have 3 questions here:
1.Since im planning on getting the nzxt kraken x52 and i was thinking of replacing the fans with the sp120 rgb fans, i wanted to ask if the fans will work in general? (because the corsair fan has 3 pin power connectors)
2.Will i be able to change the rgb settings? (how?)
3.Will i be able to change the fan speeds? (how?)
Also if you guys have anything else to say that can help out that is appreciated!
If i have any more questions ill put it on the reply section.
Thanks in advance for helping me :D.

Solution
The kraken works best if used in conjunction with CAM software, as that's designed to control not only the fans but also the pump speed and led affects. The x52 uses pwm pin fans for this, so I'm guessing there might be an issue there with control speeds.
The Corsair RGB have a separate attached 3 button switch to control the RGB coloration and affects, but can be used through a Corsair RGB hub that'll control all the fans leds simultaneously via 1 switch instead of separate switches on each fan, so led control has nothing to do with radiator choice.
Yes, you can use 3pin or 4pin fans in general, however, if the source is only pwm such as the kraken series, then 3pin fans won't see anything but a constant 12v and run full speed all...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The kraken works best if used in conjunction with CAM software, as that's designed to control not only the fans but also the pump speed and led affects. The x52 uses pwm pin fans for this, so I'm guessing there might be an issue there with control speeds.
The Corsair RGB have a separate attached 3 button switch to control the RGB coloration and affects, but can be used through a Corsair RGB hub that'll control all the fans leds simultaneously via 1 switch instead of separate switches on each fan, so led control has nothing to do with radiator choice.
Yes, you can use 3pin or 4pin fans in general, however, if the source is only pwm such as the kraken series, then 3pin fans won't see anything but a constant 12v and run full speed all the time.
You can bypass all that, by not using the cam software for control, but using the motherboard. You'd need to set the pump onto a sys_fan header instead, or a cpu_aux and have no control over pump speeds unless you get really into SpeedFan and change the addresses for temp pickup so the sys_fan header is controlled via cpu header temp instead, which will trick the pump into working. You'd just need to use the stock nzxt fan as the pyll/exhaust side fan so that the pump is actively seeing cpu_fan (really sys_fan) speeds.
It's a very MacGyver way of doing things, but it can be made to work.

A better option would be to use the HD120 vrs the SP120 as the HD are pwm I believe.

Solution

lodjic

Prominent
Nov 17, 2018
Yes, you can use 3pin or 4pin fans in general, however, if the source is only pwm such as the kraken series, then 3pin fans won't see anything but a constant 12v and run full speed all the time.
You can bypass all that, by not using the cam software for control, but using the motherboard. You'd need to set the pump onto a sys_fan header instead, or a cpu_aux and have no control over pump speeds unless you get really into SpeedFan and change the addresses for temp pickup so the sys_fan header is controlled via cpu header temp instead, which will trick the pump into working. You'd just need to use the stock nzxt fan as the pyll/exhaust side fan so that the pump is actively seeing cpu_fan (really sys_fan) speeds.
It's a very MacGyver way of doing things, but it can be made to work.

A better option would be to use the HD120 vrs the SP120 as the HD are pwm I believe.
Hey i have a question, i have the same problem as the thread starter but my question would be, do I need to use SpeedFan? couldnt i just buy a splitter 3 pin dc to 1 4 pin pwm? like this one https://www.amazon.de/EK-Water-Blocks-EK-Cable-Y-Splitter/dp/B00L6M2OSC ? Because it would be much easier than doing it in a MacGyver way and i wouldnt need to learn about the whole speedfan thing.

TRENDING THREADS