Is the P35Xv3-CF2 the best gaming laptop ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

treepop

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I was looking around and came across the P35Xv3-CF2. It has a 980m graphics card and weighs only 5 pounds. I have read that the p35k had over the top loud fans, so I have to wonder if that has been overblown (I did see a video with the fans running at 60+ decibles). I'm also curious if they've addressed this in the latest revamp.

If not the P35Xv3-CF2 then what? I want a thin lightweight laptop that's low key and has a 980m.

Bolin

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
5 pounds (5lb*0,453kg/lb, about 2,5kg)? that's very good for laptops with double fans, 980m, i7 4XXXmq/hq. They are usually around the 8 pounds (8lb*0,453kg/lb, about 4kg). If you can get some reviews about the material it's made of that'd be cool though

treepop

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
From what I have seen on the P35K, the keyboard has some flex, and it is loud. Like 60dbs right at the exhaust. However, I have also read, this is only while playing games and running things at full tilt. So, it's either a beastly rig that runs cool and weighs a min of 6.8lbs (clevo/sager), or something that's loud, or something that looks like it says "HEY IM A HUGE RED GAMING RIG LOOK AT ME!!!". I like the razerblade, but they are stupid with their pricing. So no thanks. If the gs60 ghost ran with a 980m, then I would go with that, but it's the 970m only and I gots to have the powa!

Bolin

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014

Haha, you nailed it. clevo/sager models are heavy and bulky (except for the 13,3'' 7338), alienwares are like a gaming version of barbie laptops for kids, razerblades are half between but they are expensive as f***

Heavy and powerful laptops are designed for people who will put them in a desk and move them from place to place.
Light and weak is for people who will keep them in their bags for long periods of time
Light and powerful is for ^ kind of people who want some power, but it'll probably have a shorter life span due to heat (otherwise they turn heavy because of the two fans and the good cooling design)

Bolin

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014

Wow, that's impressive! what's ODD? without ODD it's only 100g heavier than the macbook pro and 200g heavier with the ODD
My np8278-S is 8.6lbs (3,90kgs) with battery :c Anyway, I am not really a traveling person

edit: ah, nvm ODD is optical disc drive, I guess they ship you an external optical drive? or maybe they calculated laptop + weigh (actually mass though) of a regular dvd disc

treepop

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Correct, ODD is optical disc drive. It's listed with two weights because the ODD is hot swappable with an HDD or with nothing at all. Pretty slick option.

dasulman

Honorable
apart from the fact that during gaming it's going to be loud and its going to physically burn your lap, fine. a cooling fan and headset will get around this. however general use should be just as good as any other laptop. The only other question is build quality flex - but as long as you get a laptop bag that has a dedicated pocket there should be no issue whatsoever.

treepop

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I was worried about the fan noise. However, in looking at the bigger MSI laptops the fan noise is just as loud, or nearly as loud. I don't think there is any getting around loud and hot when pushing this much power.

My only question is, should I have waited for broadwell....

Status
Not open for further replies.