Is the Phenom 2 X4 975 compatable with the ASUS CM1630 Desktop PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Hello, I have a ASUS CM1630 desktop with M4A78LT-M motherboard, and I want to install a Phenom 2 x4 975 CPU in it. The motherboard "CPU support" says it needs BIOS version 0802, and the highest one that will work on the 1630 is 0502. I'm wondering what i can do to make it work?

Solution

So, you've answered yourself. Just install it now!!

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

Also, if I can't do it on this system, can you help me find a mATX motherboard that it WILL work on, hopefully out-of-the-box if possible, thx!

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

I know I saw on the cpu support list it supports the 975, so I'm guessing that was a misprint or they didn't look too closely at the wattage rating, I'm kinda bummed cuz I'm sitting here with the CPU in its box, and I cant use it, I dont get it, sorry never built a computer b4 so new to this sort of thing

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Well, yes and no, I asked for it for X-mas, and got it. They do have the 975 on the support list, but it says nothing about the "BE" thing, just says "Phenom 2 x4 975 125w rev. C3, etc, etc! I was gonna rebuild the system next year with an ATI 6970 as the GPU, figured it'd be a great system, this throws a bit of a wrench in the works. I can use my other components with a new motherboard right?

Is this your Motherboard, if so it supports the 975BE, just Install it!
P_500.jpg

The CPU support list says "Since BIOS", the latest BIOS is the 0802, just download it and install it. Then Install your CPU.
You don't have any problem at all. Sorry i confused the Motherboard with the M4A78LT-M LE

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

That is the problem, I can't get it to install, it says the image doesn't match the one currently installed, and I don't know how to get it to install. I don't see why I need to "match" the BIOS with the product (CM1630) but that is the hangup I think. And the EX FLASH says something about it being invalid. Heres what it says on the ASUSUpdate software "The model of the BIOS image doesn't match the BIOS ROM currently present" what can I do?

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Interestingly enough, The CPU I have currently (Athlon 2 x2 220) also needs 0802, so I wonder what the heck, maybe it HAS 0802, just the parts that make it work with the CPU it has. So, maybe it'll work with the 975, but seeing as I don't have thermal paste laying around my house, I don't wanna take the risk of being wrong!

As i don't understand, tell me the bottomline.
simply what's the problem ? What BIOS version do you have currently?
What prevents you from taking the old CPU and installing the new one?

Open your case, write down the Model No. of your board & it's revision.

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Hi, sorry it took so long to get back to ya, got a job that has crappy hours and worse pay, lol.

Anyhow, the problem is I cannot update my BIOS from its current version (0502) to 0802, because it doesn't match the ROM of the one currently present, and I don't understand why.

Motherboard #'s M4A78LT-M
Revision 1.00G
and as for what prevents me from taking the old CPU out and putting the new one in, nothing, just would rather be sure it will be "recognized" as what it is, as well as work correctly!
hope that helps a bit!!

Just install it, read the BIOS post screen, if it recognize it correctly then you're good to go.
The next step is to download prime 95 and stress the CPU for 2 hours, if you don't get any errors or fails, you're done.

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
ok, thank you. I just am antsy about it because I don't have the paste to reinstall the old CPU if this fails. Also, I did touch the thermal paste on the Phenom 2 but I doubt that matters. And I don't really have any intention of OC'ing the CPU anyway so as long as it can run normally for hours on end, I'm good!

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I'm probably gonna have a friend help me install (if possible) a new MB, since this one is locked at 0502. That way I CAN use the 975. then I'll put in a 6950 in a few months, still deciding between it and the '70.

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
not the MOBO that's the issue, its ASUS not updating their BIOS for the CM1630, tho its not just them that does it unfortunately, I know EVERY manufacturer tends to put updates on the backburner. Hell, I'd try to install it now, and I KNOW the mobo supports the SOB, its just that I don't know if the BIOS does. Though I have one more question, besides the speed, what is the difference between the 965 (3.4Ghz) and the 975 anyway, cuz the BIOS supports that I believe? just wondering, if one works, it stands to reason the other should. they are both BE.

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
lol, I did it because it was the fastest I could "shove" in the sucker. tho, in regards to cost vs Ghz. it probably wasn't the best idea! though in hindsight, it was only 10 dollars different for the 975 vs the 965. also, don't u usually need a better cooler to overclock, even if its .1 or .2 Ghz higher then stock.Or is it only for when u REALLY get crazy, like when u go from 3.2 to 4.0?

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I'm sorry if you didn't understand the question, but I was REALLY asking if there was some other difference between the two. I am trying to understand what the reason is that the BIOS "needs" to be higher for one then the other, when as far as I can see, they are pretty much the same processor. albeit one is .2 Ghz faster. Also, overclocking to say, 4.0 is hard when you don't have a case with enough room for a Hyper 212+ or H50 water cooler system (no tube holes in the back). Congrats on doing it tho. Runs like a bat outta hell I bet! lol

If you were asking about the CPUs, no difference except one being faster from another.

If you were asking about BIOS releases, BIOS versions improves compatibility and fixes all the bugs if found.

An Aftermarket cooler costs $25, The CPU costed you $170.

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
The BIOS releases then are messed up, because the only REAL difference between CPU's of the same type usually is #cores, speed of cores and maybe, L3 cache. at least the x3/x4 phenoms, oh yeah, and don't forget TDP! then by that logic the 975 should be "technically" the same processor, and not need a BIOS version higher then a 965, unless of course, the extra .2 Ghz speed causes more errors. Possible but not probable.

Status
Not open for further replies.